Bench vise questions.

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Hey guys, We are having trouble finding a bench vise thats worth having. Seems every one we get breaks.The last 2 were the BIGGEST toughest vise they sell at Tractor supply. LOL There just Cheaply built and cast body's that wont stand up to being truly "USED" Jr is a BEAST and just snaps them in half, Literally breaking the cast body on the ones from T.S.. LOL

My question is, Who makes a great bench vise. and for a fair price? I dont mind paying for quality. But I have no idea which makes or models are actually quality.. Please advise.

Thanks in advance for any posts and your time and help.
Randy

Randy, I believe the older Wilton vices are made tough. I have a post vice that is too heavy to for me to lift but I bet JR cant break it.

Hello Randy, Thats what i was thinking Bruce. Some of those old blacksmith post vice have been around along time. I will call you tomorrow with some info i received at blade show on a vice. Maybe you could call them and see if they are up to a challenge. LOL

Randy, get a Wilton. New ones are very, very expensive!! But they'll last and last. You can get good used ones on Ebay, but the shipping can be high.

Bruce, Jr said, If you can still pick that vise up. Send it over here and he will test it out thoroughly! hehe :)

Thanks Guys for the input! Not sure where I would put a pole vise, But it would be a upgrade to what were using now..

God Bless
Randy

What the heck are you doing to that poor vice? I have a 5" swivel everything from costco - a 6" chinese that cost less than the scrap price for the weight - and a teeny little suction cup thing that I use for serrations at the kitchen table - but I've NEVER broken a vice. :what!:

Rob!

I break em a lot, too. don't feel bad. I break them when I am cranking a polished blade down between my neoprene soft jaws so that puppy can't move at all while i peen the tang or swage the guard on. If it can't move, then there won't be any scratches on the finish (usually either pweld or hamon so the finish means a lot).

I have broken 3 in 4 years.

I just can't afford a wilton. Some times, I put soft jaws in my post vise and use it for serious squeezing, but the soft jaws don't fit it as well. I need to make a set for it.

kc

OK So Im looking at the Wilton Vise's There are many different kinds. From Machinist to muti purpose and Safety and Industrial, etc.etc. Prices are all over the board from 100.00 to 600.00

Assuming the 600.00 one is stronger would probably be right, Yet not always!! :)

We use and actually overuse our vise and not necessarily for what its designed to be used for.. You forgers and damascus makers know what Im talking about. :D

And suggestions as to a modle number or style thats tried and true would be great!

Randy

I agree on the older Wilton vise, but they are like Hens teeth around here and priced accordingly!
Why not set up a post vise on a moveable base? These things are made to take abuse, and wont break the bank!

If you are hammering on a machinist vise you can easily break it. Post vises are designed to send the shock down the post to the floor. I have one mounted on a wheel rim and a post and have been pleased with the setup.

I'd say most vises you see in the big box stores today are cast in China, and probably not worth the box they were shipped in. It's a shame when you have to worry more about the warranty than the product, but you almost have expect those cast vises to break.
Unfortunately, for a vise big enough to do anything with, you probably need to expect to pay a few hundred bucks for. Even for used vices.

Its a "Indian Chief" model and seriously I cant pick it up off the ground. I bet Jr couldnt break it.
Bruce, Jr said, If you can still pick that vise up. Send it over here and he will test it out thoroughly! hehe :)

Thanks Guys for the input! Not sure where I would put a pole vise, But it would be a upgrade to what were using now..

God Bless
Randy

Best thing is to watch the want ads and flea markets. I've bought a ton of Wiltons for dirt cheap because they were "old". Still absolutely functional, but they didn't look new and shiny!

Generally speaking, any of the larger older vices will be a good vise. The bigger you get, the better off you are. I just passed up a vice that had to weigh all of 200#! It was the biggest vice I've ever seen, but I didn't have two bills to spend on it.

Thats a tempting offer Bruce. And I would love to drop by and hang out with you and the pups. pick up a large pole vise you know.. But I dont think I can justify driving 2000 miles this time of the year.. :(

I will pay shipping and packaging on it. But were still gona have to find someone to pick it up and take it to the Post Office!

Theres a fork lift across the street I could borrow. I could cut it up to fit in a Priority box. :lol:
Thats a tempting offer Bruce. And I would love to drop by and hang out with you and the pups. pick up a large pole vise you know.. But I dont think I can justify driving 2000 miles this time of the year.. :(

I will pay shipping and packaging on it. But were still gona have to find someone to pick it up and take it to the Post Office!

Paul, Yes, Sears sells bench vises. But for what I do.. They will break and break often. The closest Sears to me is at least 1 hr away and driving back and forth to Sears a couple times a month would get old real fast! lol
I have already did this with Tractor Supply vises. Breaking 2 or there "BEST" and BIGGEST ones in a couple of months. till they gave me my money back and asked me not to buy another one!

Im currently searching and hope to find a large pole vise like Bruce has.. Thanks

Back