Belt Speed

d37fan

My new Coote grinder is here, and I am getting things to hook it up. I have read the "Abrasive Belt Basic" attachment to the NWG, but it doesn't say anything about the recommended SFP for different things you grind on. Is there a starting point somewhere or do you just fly by the seat of your pants till you find what works for you. Do I need the 4 step pulley or will the 3 step be enough of a range? I will prolly be using the Blaze belts to start with and not messing around with the cheap ones. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

First of all, what is your motor speed? If it's around 1800rpm then you are ok with either the three or four step pulley cone. If it is 3600rpm then it will be turning too fast for the bearings on the drive wheel at higher speeds. If you have to correct speed motor you can use the higher speeds (larger pulley on the motor and smaller pulley on the drive wheel) with your courser belts for hogging off the steel and the slower speeds (small pulley on the motor and large pulley on the drive wheel) to decrease the belt speeds and help keep the heat from friction down. Drive wheel size will also influence this with the larger drive wheel giving higher surface feet per minute than a smaller one.

As far as belts go, I like the Norton Norzon plus belts better than the blaze belts. I think that they cut faster and last longer plus they are less expensive to start with.

Doug

I'm pretty sure my motor is a 1750 rpm cw/ccw unit, will check when I get home. Thanks for the calculator, and I have already seen some of those, and understand how they work. What I am trying to figure out is what is the optimum speed for a certain belt/job. What I don't want to do is ruin belts or products by going too slow or too fast. I am not blessed with a budget that will allow for a long learning curve (not that any of you do either) been there done that with other failures of a grand nature. :biggrin: That is a chart I have not found as of yet. Thanks for your replies so far.

My new Coote grinder is here, and I am getting things to hook it up. I have read the "Abrasive Belt Basic" attachment to the NWG, but it doesn't say anything about the recommended SFP for different things you grind on. Is there a starting point somewhere or do you just fly by the seat of your pants till you find what works for you. Do I need the 4 step pulley or will the 3 step be enough of a range? I will prolly be using the Blaze belts to start with and not messing around with the cheap ones. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on your purchase!

My first real grinder was a 2x 72" Coote.

Call Norman Coote. He is a very friendly man and will gladly take time to explain it to you for what you trying to achieve.

I use a 4 step on the motor and a three on the Coote. Get a Link belt you can buy through Harbor Freight.

It is in links you can put together for any length you need.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Ok, after doing some investigation, my motor is a 1725 rpm motor. The 8" wheel model 2" x 72" Coote grinder has a maximum speed of 2200 rpm. So that limits me from going too fast. Problem solved. Now just to learn where everything works good at and all will be fine. I am fortunate enough to have two knife makers less than 20 miles from me and one is an ABS Bladesmith. I have been talking to one and will be getting to know the other one before long. Thanks for the info, Dale.

Congrats on your purchase!

My first real grinder was a 2x 72" Coote.

Call Norman Coote. He is a very friendly man and will gladly take time to explain it to you for what you trying to achieve.

I use a 4 step on the motor and a three on the Coote. Get a Link belt you can buy through Harbor Freight.

It is in links you can put together for any length you need.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hi Lawrence,

Do you have the motor on a slide bar, so you can use all four pulley sizes. Just trying to picture your set up.

Thanks, Fred

Back