belt grinder WIP

Thanks Jeff. I can't wait to get the motor on mine and start grinding. I haven't made a knife in about 3 1/2 years.

Larry

I like your grinder build. It looks Steampunk and that is cool stuff...

Looks great Larry,I see you have a few modifications from the prints.That is one of the things that I like about Tracy's plans,most of the time you can use what you have,or can get cheap,and build it to fit you.

Now get it finished,and get to grinding:D

God bless,Keith

I had too much fun building it now I want to build another one. Maybe a horizontal one or a ...oh, I guess I better make some knives first. He,HE,He

Larry

I also had a lot of fun building mine.My next build will be a heattreat oven.I hope to start collecting material,a little at a time,until I get what I need.

God bless,Keith

Keith, that's my next project too.

I always did primitive style knives and used a coal forge for all my heat. I'm retiring the forge and going with a gas forge. I guess I'm changing my old way of doing things.

The heat treat oven is next and then the gas forge then a power hammer. I plan to build them myself. I really like building my own tools.

Good luck with the heat treat oven.

Larry

Finally, It's finished!!

My new toy is finished and runs great. I was worried about tracking but the only thing I had to do was put a lock nut on the tracking adjustment bolt because it wanted to back off.

I'm looking for a bigger motor, I just tried this one to see how the grinder was going to do. I decided to buy a good contact wheel after all. I found out if you want to make real good grinds you have to have all your wheels running true.

It's been about three years since I made a knife, so don't expect too much. :bud: knives on the way.:D

Last edited:
Nice build Larry. That looks like you have a winner.
If you get a chance, can you take a couple pictures of your tracking adjustment design? I'd like to see how you did that..

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the compliments. It was a fun build.

I really like the 2"x 72" much better than the smaller grinders.

Boss I'll have the pics for you soon.

Larry

Tracey here's the pics you wanted of my tracking adjustment. I had a devil of a time figuring out my daughter's camera. First pics are of the unit unassembled.

Last edited:
New additions

Yep! I'm still working on the grinder and a few other tools.

I built a rotary system so I wouldn't have to change my tooling so often. Pictures aren't so good today, half my flourescent lights in the shop stopped working one by one the last few days so there isn't much light. MY shop has a 12 ft ceiling so it was a pain trying to check the lights. Bulbs are good so it must be the ballasts.

The first picture is the rotary system set on the flat platen. Next is the 8 In. contact wheel, then a 2 1/2 in wheel, and last is the slack belt position. It works pretty good but was a bugger to get everything lined up the first time.

I had to buy a bigger motor. I had a friend who was an electrician in the navy hook it up. Turned it on and the breaker blew and now my new motor doesn't work.

Last edited:
Here's pictures of some other tools I have made in the last 2 weeks.

First is a small wheel attachment, then my knife vise. Next is a hydraulic pin press, and then a tapping jig.

The piece of wood is my magnet for flat grinding blades.

Thanks for looking. Maybe my next pictures will be knives.:D:rolleyes::bud:

Larry

Last edited:
Back