Been away for a while....

C Craft

I haven't been on any of the knife sites in a while. We got struck by lighting. It got my phone and PC. My son in law has me hooked up with a loaner right now!

Also I have dealing with some medical issues with my wife and trying to get on top of them, that has consumed most of my time! Along with the yard work that got behind when all her medical stuff first came about!

I myself, am now pretty much confined to the house with my own medical issues, can't be in the heat. Since it has hovered close to the 100* mark without the heat index figured into that around here. I have decided it is best to stay away from the un-airconditioned shop! The shop fan is just moving the hot air and makes it tolerable most of the time. However when you can't get hot, it is not enough!

I decided to get on the PC and see what is new today! Soooooo the first day back, I get into two controversial posts right off the bat with my posts! Guess that means I am opinionated old fart, after all some one has to stir the pot sometimes!
StirPot.gif
So it is that or have youall just missed me!
4.gif

I never thought I would miss being connected but, when I couldn't get my daily fix of knife making, I felt like I was having the DT's!

I haven't been on any of the knife sites in a while. ............................. blah blah, ........................Guess that means I am opinionated old fart, after all some one has to stir the pot sometimes!
StirPot.gif
So it is that or have youall just missed me!
4.gif

OK not a reply so I guess you didn't miss me! LOL that's OK too!:biggrin:

Haha. I really do not know ya yet. Jury is still out. :). Welcome back! It's a fun forum! I'm sure you add color and character and if it makes you happy write what ever ya want.

I never try to promote drama or controversy but then again, I am opinionated at times as all of us are! And I am old enough and been around the world enough most of the time I will listen to others side of things, doesn't mean that you are always going to change my mind but, stranger things have happened! LOL

That was really pretty much a tongue and cheek remark. I have missed the forum and was just saying hey to some that I know on the forum!

My two controversies I spoke of was one, my opinion on a show that has been posted on as a recent topic. I said how I felt without trying to bash anyone that was part of the knife making community.
A few posts down Boss posted that this thread needed to stay civil! Not sure if that was directed at anyone personally or a shot over the bow for what some posts turn into on forums. That is his job and I respect him for the good standards he holds this forum too, so don't get me wrong their either!

Let me say, I respect this forum and have walked away from another that was always steeped in stuff like that. On that forum, the moderators and even the owner were often in the middle of those controversies, in facet in my opinion they did more to stir the problems that to contain them! Comments by them were made not in an attempt to moderate the conversation but to join in too be-little their own members. That particular forum was all about how much money can you contribute to their forum. Don't get me wrong I realize forums like these are not free. The tab is often supplemented heavily by the owner of the forum, as well as advertising on it! I have no problem with that at all.

However when someone that joined the forum yesterday, and I have been here for a year of two tells me, that since I don't contribute financially to the forum I should not be here.
Well that just tends to irritate me and when the owner basically says well if I don't like the new guys attitude about the financial contribution then maybe I should leave.
Really, I mean really, wow a great attitude for the man that owns the forum. Many others I knew from that particular forum, walked away from it, maybe not for the same reason but for all the petty fights that went on and were promoted by the people in charge! Many of those are here on this forum.

If you have no respect for your members of a forum, then you have little to ask for respect from them. That is one thing I have never seen on this forum and you are not looked at as a second rate deadbeat if you don't have the means too or the want too contribute to the financial side of this forum!!!
After all none of you truly know me or my situation. I will say this I have my reasons for not getting into the money side of things but that is between me and my family and pouring my woes out to others is not my way!!! I simply can't go that route. That doesn't mean I can't be an upstanding citizen to this forum, so to speak. I try to contribute in other ways!

I have enough respect for others and so went back and re-read my post on the show to see if I had stepped over the line. I did kind of give the host a bad rap in the post and as I am sure is somebody's friend as well! I cleaned up the word "sucked" and said, I did not like him. However none of that changed the disappointment I found in the way the show was presented and I clarified why I felt that way!

The other controversy came from over simplifying a comment on the HT forum. The thought that came to me that the principle was simple, the actual process is not!
Somehow I don't think it came across that way and I do realize a statement like that can and does contribute too promoting the wrong idea to newbs. And yes I still consider myself a newb even though I have been plunking along in the knife making for several years now, so no one should take the word Newb as a bad remark!
It is like the light bulb goes on when speaking about a subject you have heard discussed at length and never heard mentioned in the way it was just mentioned!!

I did construction for years, I use to tell my guys if you got a better idea on how to do something, then lay it on me. However if I think it is a dangerous suggestion or I have already tried it and failed that way, then the answer is NO we won't be trying that. Also if we try it and it fails we won't be trying it again next week. I have learned over the years you are never too old to learn something new!

So as far as knowing me i am usually pretty easy to get along with! I try an impart knowledge that I have gained insight into when it comes to the knife making business. Sometimes that is not always looked at as a good thing by some but I know when I started there was a lot of things I didn't understand or even misunderstood. When I was able to open my mind to what others were actually trying to say or show me, that is when I began to expand my horizons in knife making!!

So countryguy let me extend my hand and say hello and we will pull up a chair and chew that fat in the future! I ain't hard to get to know and some that know me, really do like me!! LOL:s12137:

Last edited:
I hope you and your wife's medical problems get better. I know more about that kind of stuff than I ever wanted to. Gary

Back