Bearings maintenance

TK9477

Hey all

I'm pondering upgrading my EDC to a custom folder but at $600+ I'm worried about using it.

Knives are used for all sorts of things but the one thing I use mine for daily is....cutting apples lol!

I have a false tooth which means I can't bite into them - with the juice being citric acid, even with regular rinsing I'm not sure on how long the bearings will hold out.

I love my apples so what are the thoughts on maintenance?

On top of what Calvin said, I carry two knives most of the time and I prefer to have one be a cheap simple folder to eat off of that's stainless and a slip or lock back that I can put under a stream of water and soap to clean any crud build up out of it from cutting foods.

$600 isn't a knife that I could carry in my pocket for EDC - I'd either lose it, and for sure it'd get beat up too much. At times I've carried two folders, one for showing off and one as a EDC that I use as a "tool" for cutting whatever. When it gets crudded up, I wash in water, soap, degreaser, just what it takes to clean up. Gets too bad I'll take it apart to clean. an EDC is a "tool", not a "show piece".

Ken H>

Another option would be to get a can of CRC food grade silicone spray ($6.23, Zoro) and hose out the bearing every few apples. If know they are SS bearings, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you are washing it out now and then.

The custom maker may offer a spa treatment so to speak. It's great to see an expensive knife that's had a lot of use, gives it character. I'd agree washers would be the best option for something that's going to see dirt. No my area of expertise but perhaps if you did go with bearings ceramic ones would hold up to acid better?

Back