Bandsaw

505Fire

Do you guys think with decent blades this bandsaw would be capable of use for cutting out blade blanks for knives or friction cutting titanium for handles? It is a wood cutting bandsaw. I think I can get it for $50 would it be worth it? ca87e2b1.jpg

Nope. Not unless you can slow the speed waaaay down. Metal cutting bandsaws operate at much slower speeds. Check out the late David Boyes book for plans of a metal cutting bandsaw. If you can find an old two wheel wood cutting saw, then you can install three or four groove pulleys to slow it down for metal cutting with the appropriate blade of course. With the step pulleys in place you can convert it back to a wood cutting bandsaw for handle blanks by merely moving the belt and changing the blade, although sometimes it makes little diff. as to blade depending on what you are using for handles. Work the blade slow for metal cutting and use eye protection, please.

You can't get any cheaper than a 4X6 metal cutting saw from Harbor Frieght. Spend a little and get a saw it will pay off in the end. I have one that has lasted about 10 years and that is cutting a lot of blades too. Sometimes it pays to try and find a way to do something cheaper but not in this case. buying the extra pully and time would not make this a worth while venture.

I have to agree with everything previously stated. I got lucky a few years ago and found a Jet 4x6 at Menards for under 200. Same setup as the HF model mentioned. Do a little shopping around, or check out pawn shops and craigslist for a 4x6 or portabands. If I ever kill my Jet, I'll probably move to a portaband converted for bench or wall mount to free up a little shop space.

The Harbor freight 4x6 64 1/2" is a very good unit for the money. Just get a Lennox or other American made Bimetal 14 TPI saw blade for it. Throw the one that came with it out!
I have had mine for about 13 years now. I put the blade carriage vertical and sit on the Saw horse and cut away. I have mine on the middle pulley for a Just right speed.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I have a Harbor Freight 64 1/2" bandsaw that I've had for about 15 years and I've never had a problem with it. I tossed the blade that came on it and now only use bi-metal blades on it.

Back