Blade- 1095 steel with chatoyant finish
Handle- Bamboo
Fittings- Copper
Scabbard- Bamboo and cork with music wire hook
Wrappings- Woven cotton cord

DSCN8109-001.JPG

DSCN8117-001.JPG

DSCN8110-001.JPG

T, Interesting looking knife! The blade finish is sure different. Where's the complimentary candle? R

What Dan said, the finish on the bamboo is different to. Did you burn it?

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Yes, the bamboo is burnt with sheet metal stencils and a torch.

The finish on the blade was done with sandpaper and a sanding stick. The strokes were perpendicular to the blade with extra pressure on the outside edge of the sanding stick in a back and forth motion. It flickers and changes in the light. It's a very similar effect as fine grained etched and polished ladder pattern Damascus,... but a lot easier.

I've never seen either of those finishes before, but they seemed to come natural. I tried burning some other woods, gourds etc., with the stencils and torch, but it just doesn't work like on the bamboo. It almost looks spray painted or airbrushed.

Last edited:
Definitely recognizable as your work.

The blade finish is real eye catching. I thik I understand how you did it, but not certain. Was this a narrow, like 3/4" or so sanding stick?

Yes, a narrow stick about 1/2 to 3/4 inches wide and 320 grit paper. I also rubbed it with a little polishing paste after the sanding, just to bring up the luster a bit.

Where's the complimentary candle?

DSCN8138.JPG

... For those that don't know yet, I've been helping my Step daughter, Lucy (full name Lucrecia= "Brings Light") start a candle making business. I made this candle yesterday just to tease Ray back, but think it could be the start of a whole new line for us. Just the top section is filled with wax (recycled). The bottom section is hollow and serves as a stand. I think it will be a good way to use up some of our scrap wax. I've never made candles before, but am thoroughly enjoying it. We've made hundreds over the last couple months and sales have been good so far.(Complimentary knives not included). :)

Last edited:
DSCN8138.JPG

... For those that don't know yet, I've been helping my Step daughter, Lucy (full name Lucrecia= "Brings Light") start a candle making business. I made this candle yesterday just to tease Ray back, but think it could be the start of a whole new line for us. Just the top section is filled with wax (recycled). The bottom section is hollow and serves as a stand. I think it will be a good way to use up some of our scrap wax. I've never made candles before, but am thoroughly enjoying it. We've made hundreds over the last couple months and sales have been good so far.(Complimentary knives not included). :)

T, You got me! Just got a thought. You could do a group of them bunched up together. I keep thinking fire safety. I think it would be easy to solve that problem. R

Back