ball peen hammer or hydrolic pin press pros / cons

Hello everyone, I'm currently thinking about getting/ making a 20 ton pin press for pressing the pin stock on my bolsters. Here's how I've been doing it. I've had mixed results. Currently I prep the bolsters as most do. I glue (epoxy) the bolsters in place...holes for pins pre drilled. I set pins in place and clamp bolster till glue dries. Immediately after clamps have been set...I remove the pins. Once glue dries , I clean the pin holes with proper size drill bit. I then mushroom one side of the pins and place in pin holes. Cut excess pin length on non mushroomed side. I then begin to peen the pin stock. I don't seem to consistently get a good weld of the pins and at times get a small black ring around the pins after I have tapered the bolter and handle on the grinder. I believe the weld is good at the top of the bolster but not all the way down through the bolster. Would a hydrolic press do a better job of that?)

Use a tapered reamer of the correct size before you start preening the pins. It will help pull the bolsters tighter and the pins being spread will fill the hole easier.

Mikes right on it.
I use the diamond needle file more than anything, 3-4 firm twists is usually enough.

If everything is flat, I'd lose the epoxy step. Lightly sand your pins. This could be part of your black ring problem. Make yourself a bench block, mine is a peice of 3"x3"x 4" square stock but anything will do. Drill the face perimeter with a series of 3/32", 1/8" and 3/16" holes as deep as the bit is wide. Use these holes to set your pins in as you peen the top side. After a couple whacks, flip over and do it again. Once the peened pins won't fit in any hole along the edge, move to the center of the block and start whacking a little harder. Flip...whack whack whack...flip...whack whack whack....etc. Keep hitting until everything is pretty much flush. It goes pretty smooth and quick once you get the hang of it.

Rudy

Back