Bader Space Saver Belt Grinder

Larry J

First time poster but long time lurker. I’m an aspiring knife maker wannabe. I have made some knife like objects with my Coote 2 X 72 and Kalmazoo 2 X 48 belt grinder.

In the grand scheme, I had in my mind to someday build a KMG clone and have been gathering parts. I stumbled on a Bader Space Saver a few days ago at a bargain price. It was a fast decision and I was just thinking it would have a lot of good parts. After getting this monster home, a close look revealed it is in excellent condition with little use. Has air tension, 5 HP 3,450 rpm 3 phase, and 14” contact wheel. The contact wheel appears to be some kind of fiber.

My new thoughts are that this would make an excellent belt grinder. I would run it from a VFD but I could run it off my rotary phase converter. Bader sells a lot of accessories, albeit expensive. I think I would want it on a mobile base. Before investing a lot of time and money on this thing, I’m asking you pros if it is worth it.

The first item I would want is a platen. Does anybody have a picture of this item? Bader sent me a fax, but it is hard to see how it attaches to the machine.

Though I don't own a Bader machine It is what the KMG is loosly based on and has a great track record with many knife makers and fabricators.

It sounds like it would be worth setting up since from what you say, It only needs the Platen?

The wheel also have a good rep and A 14" is one I want to get someday.

With this Bader and the Coote you already had you should be able to be a happy grinding fool!

By the way, I still have my Coote 2 x 72" I bought 16 years ago! Great Machine!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I would suggest that you change out the 5 hp motor for a 1.5 or 2 hp 3 phase and a VFD. I think that 5 hp is way more than you will ever need when making knives and a VFD is near the cost of a rotary phase converter. Of course since you already have the phase converter you can use that but will not get the variable speed. VFDs that I am familiar with for more than 3 hp require 3 phase in.

Back