AYC for handles and scales

wall e

The joys of having family and friends in the timber and millworking industry. Dad scored me some ALASKAN YELLOW CEDAR 2x6 and 2x10 and a piece of 2x4. Does this work out well for handles or is it a not too common or no ones tried it yet?

Most Cedar I have seen is too punky soft for a good handle. Redwood burl works great after it's professional stabilized so I would think the same would apply to Cedar?

I know what you are talking about rhino. There is no punk in this cedar at all it is like a white blonde cedar. It is also referred to as canadian cypress by some people. Is a straight grain, a few knots like a pine and similar colored nice blonde color. Is used for decks on boats also.
I'll post some pics when I get home in a little while.

Last edited:
Walt, if it's true alaskan yellow cedar, it's highly prized and rare if it has any figure. Let's see some pics. Does it have any burl or little black eyes?

I've used it stabilized and it seemed okay. Natural would be light weight, probably resistant to decay but not very durable.

It is alaskan yellow cedar the planks are from overhang on laminated beams. Unfortunately its not a burl. Has some larger knots like #2 pine but long straight grain and a beautiful blonde color. Kinda stinks at the moment but probably is just the glue thats on some of it. Lol

I have some Yellow Cedar Burl from BC. (Like Southern Alaska but they got stuck with Christy Clarke and Alaska lucked out with Sara Palin) :rolleyes:

It is rare - very light colored and in this case, the burl is dense and uniform. It has been drying for years (like maybe 50 years careful storage) but WSSI won't touch it because of the resin the stuff holds. K&G will process it. I would not use it without stabilizing. It is SO beautiful if prepped properly.

I'm not sure I'd be so impressed if it were not richly figured.

Rob!

Ok fellows here are the pics of the wood.
7532b6b045cda649f0f363554c93debc.jpg

efea891dedc4e045366d46c55600166d.jpg

f09c0179875a77933a4c1dadad08528a.jpg

Is night after dinner and house hunting sorry.
There is character in the wood but not the figures of the burl. Grrr

I have some Yellow Cedar Burl from BC. (Like Southern Alaska but they got stuck with Christy Clarke and Alaska lucked out with Sara Palin) :rolleyes:

It is rare - very light colored and in this case, the burl is dense and uniform. It has been drying for years (like maybe 50 years careful storage) but WSSI won't touch it because of the resin the stuff holds. K&G will process it. I would not use it without stabilizing. It is SO beautiful if prepped properly.

I'm not sure I'd be so impressed if it were not richly figured.

Rob!

^^^This sums it up perfectly for me.

Walt, that stuff you've got isn't very pretty or unique. It would make a pretty plain handle and it wouldn't be worth your time to pay to have it stabized.

Ok. So it would be good for just a generic plain jane handle and practice dying and home stabilizing maybe down the road. Would maybe make a neat bench or shop furniture.

I had a few logs that we brought back from a hunting trip in south east with the idea of running it through my dowelling machine to see how they would hold up as arrows,the stuff stuck so bad I gave up on them and burned them in the stove.

Will figure out a use for it. Its plain and blah not a burl just straight grained lumber. But some creativity and patience will make it useful.

Back