At Wits End...

Venus2

So, I'm looking for a bevel-style "bit" to fit into my drill press which will grind a good bevel (ideally, 60 degrees from vertical) in my bolsters (untempered 416 stainless); I presume I'll need a diamond-impregnated type but cannot find any such animal on-line. With the number of tools for any occasion out there, I cannot believe that something like this is so hard to find. Straight edges and outside curves are no problem, but inside curves are a bugger.
In a perfect world, 1 to 1 1/2 inch diameter at top of cutting face (1/4 inch shaft) and 60 degree angle, measured from vertical (looks like a point down cone), although I can be flexible here.
I've tried every stone style bit out there, and they ALL end up being ground down by the stainless. Useless. Anybody have any suggestions or manufacturers out there who can direct me accordingly?

Although it's still a bit vague by your description, I'll take a "stab" at it.

Maybe you're looking for a tapered end mill ? At an 1-1/2" diameter to a point would be a considerable industrial tool. A 1/4" shaft would be very doubtful. The larger suppliers like MSC stock tapered end mills in many sizes and degrees of taper. It's also doubtful your drill press could handle that type of side load. What I'm getting from your desciption is that you're trying to shape the face of your bolsters without using files or belt grinder ? Sorry if I missed the mark.

Rudy

Yup, pretty much. Inside curves are killing me. The belt grinder/disc grinder is fine for straits and outside curves, but damn, I'm butchering inside curves (like 1 inch dia. or less...). MSC? Will Google know who that is? I'm good to 3/8 shank, or 1/2 with flattened grinds; just haven't seen anything like that in my searches.
Hey, thanks for the reply!

If I am understanding your need? What you want is called a,
"CARBIDE" Counter sink with 60 degree bevel or inclusive 120. Those are about the only thing I have found that I can counter sink my relief holes on my culinary knives in hardened stainless like CPM-154 & CPMS35VN. You can look at my knife site for pics.

I buy 1/2" to 3/4" You should be able to find them on Ebay where I get most of mine? If you don't see any in the 1 1/2" listed?
Look at the suppliers that will show up at the bottom of the page on Ebay and email or call them for the size you want.

Hope this helps?

I think I got a better idea now.
You're talking about tight radii like finger grooves I think (?). Try cutting close to your radius with your band saw/hack saw then finish with a file or sanding drum in your drill press. I just hang my belt over the side of the platen and nibble out whatever inside radius I want using the edge of the platen....quick and easy. Is this closer to what you're trying to do ? I can't imagine needing any special tool to make a bolster or even seeing a bolster needing a 1-1/2" inside curve on it's face. Maybe we have two different understandings of bolster.

The big shiny thing in front of the micarta is a bolster. Are you refering to the bottom curved finger groove ? If so, I do that with my belt grinder. No special tool.

KnifeShow 033.jpg

Rudy

Curves in the bolster, yes. The primary (profile?) curves are fine; I've cut them exactly as you have described... what I'm now trying to do is add a chamfer or bevel to the top edge of that inside curve on the bolster... cut is 1/8 inch DEEP, 1/16 inch IN (or thereabouts) at 30 degrees preferably. I can't really see in your photo, Rudy, (beautiful blade, by the way), but it looks as if you've ROUNDED the top edges of your bolster; that is one option I have, but I'm really trying to cut a sharp chamfer or bevel in the top edge. I found a rubberized cone-shaped abrasive tool that MSC is selling, so will give that a whirl. I'm not sure it's exactly the 30 degrees I'd like, but what the hell... I'm adaptable!

Venus,
Thanks. Yes, the bolsters are radiused (slack belt) in both axis. Please post a pic of the final product if/when you find a solution. I'm missing something here :confused2: and better clam up before I can't see out of the hole.

Rudy

Back