Anyone using a Roller Mill??

Diamond G Knives

Im looking into trying to build a rolling mill to press out some material. Anyone using one? Anyone made one?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

I have made 2 of them, what do you need to know? In the list of forging machines I would list the air or trip hammer 1st, hydraulic press 2nd, and rolling mill 3rd as far as versatility. The rolling mill is pretty limited unless all you want to do is stretch the material out longer or put in tapers.
I have built all 3 machines 2 rolling mills, 2 presses, and 1 air hammer so if theres any way I can help let me know

Tony

I built a rolling mill a long time ago. It was a very handy addition to my shop. While it won't replace a power hammer or press, it is certainly a good addition.

Jamie

I have a press (and would LOVE a power hammer!) I am working on making some laminated steel for chefs blades and was thinking a mill would be handy to stretch the billets to chef blade thickness while keeping the core centered. Any thoughts??

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

It's hard to give exacts, there are too many variables. 1/2" to 1/8" is a lot of reduction, and I know my mill won't do that on larger pieces. If it's a billet that's 2 inches wide, it really won't do that. I take it in a multiple passes to get down to the thickness I want. I haven't done any forging for quite some time, so I can't give specifics on number of passes.

Jamie

can someone tell me how to build a rolling mill that can be hand cranked and a smallish one

If I'm not mistaken, you can by smaller "rolling mills" that are designed for jewelers. For rolling out steel billets for knives I'm not sure how practical these would be.

I just bought a copy of the MacDonald Roller Mill plans myself, and they seem pretty good. Not a project I'll be able to do for some time though.

I bought plans once off the net for a rolling mill. The plans seemed very good and very doable. I forget now where I got them but if you intended to every make one it would be a very good investment to get the plans and study them.
CW

Back