Anyone seen that white whale?

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Did you? Something I have wanted to try for several years has been a harpoon so now I can take this off my bucket list. I finally figured out how to start the head last night so I made a preform in the shape of a triangle. Welded a hay rake tine for a handle that I had straightened out a few minutes earlier and started forging. To my surprise it actually went pretty good and I only had to re weld the handle just one time. Next came the tricky part since I knew my last bandsaw blade had seen better days but I did manage to get it cut out. I'll go back in the forge one more time and draw out the area a little bit more where the shaft hooks up. I'm going to make the socket out of a piece of a very old 2 man cross cut saw blade. Hopefully by the end of the day I will have it together or close to it if it doesn't end up in the field behind the shop. Capt Rayhab.......

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great Aha-- er Ray. I always thought those things were really neat. You ought to take it down to Tai's and tell him you're ready for him to take you fishing for prairie dogs or something.

Thanks for showing us how to do it,
Carey

"Thar she blows!" Great and very unique. Several years ago the Wife and I went to The Mystic Seaport Historical site in Conneticut. The Blacksmith was forging harpoon points and the Wife said "you should make some of those." Muskies don't get big enough for a harpoon round these here parts. Great Job Rayhab!

"Thar she blows!" Great and very unique. Several years ago the Wife and I went to The Mystic Seaport Historical site in Conneticut. The Blacksmith was forging harpoon points and the Wife said "you should make some of those." Muskies don't get big enough for a harpoon round these here parts. Great Job Rayhab!

You can always down size. I wish I had both the time and energy to try all the new idea's I've gotten after making this harpoon. When I made this one I pretty much guessed at the size but I don't think I'm to far out of the ball park. I did know the length before hand.

Back