Anyone here use a scandi grinding jig?

Shane Wink

I have never successfully made a scandi grind by hand and have decided to give them another go as I want to try the grind out for personal use and knowledge of how well it works for me in an up coming challenge. Does anyone here have pics of a jig they use or if I grind it free hand whats the best way to clean the grind up?

Shane,
There are many different ones but most of the Nordic knives with these grinds are are not bevel ground. They use a thinner steel and the Scandi grind gives the cutting edge. Do it by hand so you can learn the process, you can do it by slack belt or grind three small scandis and then blend them into one. I prefer doing it slack A few passes with a 36G then a 50G then you get to your 100G and the finishing grits.

The Nordic makers are the originators of these so they may have better hints for you. Some Japanese also use these and I beleive that is where the term Micro bevel comes from for these grinds?
Have Fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hey Shane, I have never used one but if you do a google search for scandi grind jig then click images it gives you some ideas

Laurence I can free hand them now but they are never flat. Kinda of a scandi/convex lol. I spend a good bit of time on the stones getting them flat afterwards but was looking for something a little more precise on the degrees for testing the geometry vs the steel. Here is one I did today on a piece of 7/64 O1. I was shooting for 12* but after cleaning it up on the stones it measure 14.3*

20130201_110709.jpg20130201_110653.jpg20130201_110702.jpg

Thanks Britt and I have but thought I would ask my "dawgs" how they are going about it. :9:

I did get a gig from Fred Roe but that was after I started my two, and possibly my last, scandi grinds. What I used to set the angle was an angle gauge which was nothing more than a disc with series of angled notches around it to act as guides. I found it on Amazon. As Laurence said, there are scandi grind blades, many commercially made, that are of thinner steel but some makers, at least according to a Swede who posted his blades, who prefer to use something thicker. If you do, remember, it's the angle applied to the blade and not how far up from the edge that you grind. Thicker steel will have the grind farther up the blade than a thinner blade will with the same angle of grind.

Doug

Shane,

I find the edge cutting longer by doing it slack, and you can use stiffer belts if you want less curve in them.

Our Pal Jeff, "Bush Monkey knives" Here on KD does these kinds of grinds. Ask him?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence

thanks guys.

Doug you are right and I will be using 5/32 for the final thickness. What you mentioned Doug is just what help me to understand geometry of the blade a bit better as a visual.

Laurence I will do just that, thanks! I would like to ask him just about his experience with the edge in general.

Here's a picture of my jig though I am by no means the person who came up with the idea....

wonkeybevel3.jpg

Hopefully the picture is self explanatory. It's a piece of aluminium angle and you set the angle by adjusting the bolt. Simple as can be and works a treat!

thuya1copy.jpg

Back