Any thoughts before I scrap this?

blancefitz

DSC01768.jpg
I have this punch that I acquired when I bought the contents of a gasket company at a tax sale years ago. It was full of all kinds of great stuff. I kept some of the equipment and have sold most of what I didn't see any use for. I need to clean out the warehouse I have this stored in and thought I would ask one more time if this might be able to be used or converted into some kind of power hammer for forging. It is a Toledo punch press but I don't know how many tons it is rated at. I don't currently forge anything, but I don't want to get rid of this and then wish I hadn't. I sure wish I had kept that Bridgeport mill I gave to the guy that help me move all of the equipment! Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Man- looks too good to scrap. It looks like if nothing else, the base and frame would be good for either a power hammer of some sort, or to start a build of a press.
But, then again, I don't know what it would scrap out for. Maybe enough to buy the ideal steel or components to get started on building exactly what you want instead of having to build around what you have there. Too bad we're so far apart- freight would probly kill me on that item. Maybe someone closer would have an idea in mind. More pictures might help.

Here is a pic from the front.
DSC01767.jpg
I'm thinking maybe a piece of railroad track affixed where the lower die sits and reshape one of the big punches into whatever shape you needed. I would assume something about 2 or 3 inches across that looked like the face of a hammer.:biggrin: I think you can adjust the travel of the head as well. Think I am going to go and get the thing and bring it to my shop. If I look at it everyday, I'll figure something out.

I'll bet that thing would crack hicker nuts! (called "hickory nuts" in furrigen countries)

It's a little small for a Texas nut cracker, but it ought to handle our "Paper Shell" pecans at least. Yeah, my mother in law in New Jersey had never heard of "Akerns"! All I know is the deer down here love em.

That thing is so cool looking that if you had it all cleaned up in a big city you could sell it as a industrial art piece to some millionaire as Art for his/her garage museum area. If its all there I would keep it if I could?

Laurence, I like your idea better than mine. Here at the recently opened "Money Up Front Art Sales" we'll start the bidding at
untitled.jpgWill probably have to take it up there where they don't know what "Akerns" are to get it sold!:biggrin:

i think it should be very tricky to convert it into a power hammer...that thing has no "springy give" to the blow.
i would use it as a manual fly-press.

Back