antler scales on a full tang knife

AJH_Knives

hey guys, can anyone tell me in detail how to put antler on a full tang knife? do you glue and pin them on, and shape them just like you would micarta or wood handles? I want to attempt it, just don't know how to start.

Aaron

hey guys, can anyone tell me in detail how to put antler on a full tang knife? do you glue and pin them on, and shape them just like you would micarta or wood handles? I want to attempt it, just don't know how to start.

Aaron

Aaron,
yep! That is pretty much it. You do want to make sure you are flat & full on all areas of the tang first.
Other than that , I have just treated them like most other handle materials only you want to work it a bit slower to avoid scorching the antler. I also go for a outside area because it stinks to high heaven! lol.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Aaron,
The best two white compounds for buffing that I have found are. No1 My FAV.
Fabulustor. No2 Zam white compound. Most supply houses will have one or the other. Jewelry supply has them too

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Dwane I watched your video, good information. Not to be telling anyone else what to do but you might want to cover the blade in tape as when one hangs while drilling on the drill press and eventually one will hang, been there done that.

Well lets just say it is not nearly as intimidating when it is covered and tends to not do as much damage to man at the drill press, while it is whirling around!. I know it only takes a second but a clamp on the blade is a good idea as well, since I had that happen to me I do not work without the blade covered as well as clamping it for the minute! I was lucky and managed to jerk my hand out of the way, but the thought of what that blade might have done!:what!::31:

Dwane I watched your video, good information. Not to be telling anyone else what to do but you might want to cover the blade in tape as when one hangs while drilling on the drill press and eventually one will hang, been there done that.

Well lets just say it is not nearly as intimidating when it is covered and tends to not do as much damage to man at the drill press, while it is whirling around!. I know it only takes a second but a clamp on the blade is a good idea as well, since I had that happen to me I do not work without the blade covered as well as clamping it for the minute! I was lucky and managed to jerk my hand out of the way, but the thought of what that blade might have done!:what!::31:

Yea, Yea , LOL
I havnt had one hang in YEARS......
I really should though.
At that point in the process the blade edge is about .017" thick and NOT sharp.
Taping the blade ........some I do , depending on the finish of the blade.

Thanks for the thoughts

Dwane

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is attachment methods. I prefer to use peinned pins so I can preserve as much of the stag texture as possible, as bolt type connectors need to be ground flush with the handle material, which with stag will cause you to loose a bit of texture.... just something to consider.

Make sure you take the bulk of the material off the back side before you shape anything. You want them to be at about the right thickness before gluing and pinning, or else you'll end up grinding off all the texture. That's probably pretty obvious, but nobody else said it.

Back