Another knife finished 4-26-2012 10pm.

ArtinNC

Finished this up last night . blade steel is CTS40CP my first with this steel. Bolsters and spacers are 416 and copper. handle is spalted oak burl. I see I have the blade steel on the picture as ATS34 that is wrong.
Thanks for looking ALL comments welcome.
100_2906-B.jpg

100_2908-B.jpg

100_2912-B.jpg

100_2914-B.jpg

100_2916-B.jpg

Last edited:
Come on there were 80 more lookers that didn't say anything . I think my fit with the copper is lousy I only posted this because I wanted to see what kind of comments I'd get . I think the over all knife is good , but the copper is a miss this is my first try with the copper and the second handle with copper on this knife. I would like to know what you think about copper from you makers that have used it as spacers. That is the only reason I posted this picture.
Thanks again for new comments.

She's a Beautiful kife Art ! Love the design.

I think the copper liners were a great choice on this one. I really like the slotted lanyard hole and the filework pattern... it reminds me of a swan :)

I've found that for liners in copper, brass, or nickel silver that the typical very rough cut you get around the perimeter and it's ability to take and hold dents and dings can be problematic for ending up up with a seamless fit with the scales and tang.

When I use this stuff for liners I'll epoxy it onto my block right off the bat while the block is still full size and cut the metal at least a 1/4" bigger than the block on all 4 sides and grind it down flush. This makes for some waste of the liner material but it allows me to end up with liners are truly flat without buggered edges.

Looking forward to stopping by your table at Blade !

Take care- Josh

Thanks Josh,
I'll still use it for spacers but don't think I use copper again for liners.

I like the look of Copper and this is a Handsome knife you made.

I won't use it on any of mine anymore due to it's green oxidation, ease of denting & Re-activeness against leather or salt air etc. That 3m modified metal stuff has some in copper and many other colors.

I purchased a set of Lapis & Gold Mokune that I will experiment with.
I mostly make Culinary knives these days so any thing that is reactive is gone from my list of Materials.

Nice Knife.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I'm not sure how I missed this when you first posted this Art. I think it looks great! I'm a sucker for copper accents and think this piece turned out great. Hopefully I'll be able to see this in person if I make it to BLADE.

I like it a lot. Great finish like all your work. I would like to see it down the line and check out how the liners age.
I'm still undecided about copper.

Nice work,
David

OK, you're right Art.
My experience with copper wasn't great either. It always looks like it was torn off a sheet after grinding but you do have to look closely for it. Even as spacers, on close inspection the edges look ragged. All that aside...you still made a beautiful knife. There, I said it.

Rudy

Thanks for all the comments. I think I'm done with copper . It just don't fit and finish like I want.

Back