Another ironwood handled knife

PetrifiedWood

This one is patterned after the classic woodlore. It's my first time using Loveless bolts and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

Specs are:

9" Overall length
4 - 1/4" Blade
5/32" thick O1 steel
Brass/Stainless Loveless bolts
Brass lanyard tube
Red liners
Desert Ironwood scales
14 degree scandi grind (28 degrees inclusive)
Java Brown sheath with firesteel loop

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Good job, I like the bolts and iron wood and firesteel look is great touch- looks like a survival outfit.

Last edited:
Very clean looking knife, that's some nice ironwood too. Like the style of the sheath and the addition of the firesteel. Well done!
Bruce

Beautiful knife. Very clean lines and great choice of materials. Well done on the knife and sheath. Did you hand stitch the sheath?

Thanks guys!

Yes, I stitched the sheath by hand. I actually have a step-by step assembly pictorial I could post here for making the sheath. I might do that if I get some time later on.

The firsteel is one that I just carry in my pocket all the time. I have plans to eventually make a 3 piece handle out of brass that screws together with a wood (or micarta) decorative insert in the middle. This would allow me to make a nice looking handle that matches the knife handle.

I've been making firesteel handles on my lathe for about a year now and I've got them so they are re-useable. When you wear out the actual firesteel, the nice matching handle can be fitted with a new firesteel so it doesn't have to be discarded.

But that will have to wait until I can do some maintenance on my lathe. It's getting a little sloppy lately.

Back