Another for critical review

Travis Fry

I didn't like this knife when I started making it, didn't like it through the process, and didn't really like it when I had the blade polished and ready for handles. I didn't really like this handle material either, but when I picked up the polished blade and took it over to my handle materials shelf, the two seemed to sorta speak to each other and the result was, IMO, pretty great. The rundown: 3/16" 1080 with stainless pins. Handle is stabilized spalted tan oak from Rob at Bad Dogs Burl Source. OAL: 8.7 inches | Blade: 4 inches. Comments welcome, and thanks for looking!

138forum.jpg

Looks like it turned out to be a pretty nice overall package. I know what you mean about parts of a knife not "working". I think that blade and handle turned out to work pretty well together.

SDS

I think it turned out great! I really like the handle material. How did you get it to texture like that?

Crazy thing, the handle is smooth, sanded to 2000 grit. It looks like it has texture because of the spalting, but since it's stabilized it's hard like plastic. Weird stuff, stabilized wood. I hope that's what you were asking about. J, those are actually 1/4" stainless pins. I haven't gotten around to using corbys (corbies?) yet, nor have I yet been convinced they're necessary if you use pins and good glue. I'm willing to be proven wrong...

Nice and practical. Looks good, nice shape and the wood matches the shape.

Terry

The grain of the handle realy ties the upper line with the lower line at just the right angle--it helps to illuminate the whole shape of the knife.

I appreciate that you kept it simple too. No bolsters or craziness here and there to disturb the elegance of the wood. After all, it looks like old barn wood that's been sitting quietly for 80 years or so. Very classy look.

The diameter of the pins is a good match for the thickness of the tang too. I really like the whole design!

I like it!

That spalted oak looks almost like antler material. NIce finish on
the blade as well.

Kind regards,
Dana

Back