another fix from my earlier attempt at freehand.

crank78

turned out ok. grinds are not showing as good as last time. I may mirror finish the bevels and leave the upper as is maybe that will make it show more. the wood sure is pretty and should really shine after a couple thin coats of ca and a good polishing.
0211142354a (1).jpg
0211142354.jpg

I do like the pins - did you make them? What wood for handle? Metal for blade? Details man, details!!! {g}

Looking good.... BTW, what part of the world are you?

Ken H>

lol sry. it is 1/8 1095 from jantz I know that's probably a bad word here. the handle is exhibition birdseye maple from jantz. the pins are 3/16 Ferris wheel mosaic also from jantz. im in really small town in ky called middleburg.
I will give Midwest a try on my next order. jantz was just the first one I found.

Nothing wrong with Jantz; I keep an up to date catalog from them. Just not t he best place to purchase steel.

Doug

is it because there steel comes warped. or another reason. I hate having to straighten something before I use it. I was under the impression all steel usually comes a little warped.

Jantz and USA are both good solid companies and I buy from both.

A lot of bar stock does come a little warped. it just happens when they shear cut it into the 1" to whatever size bars and even sheet can be a little warped.

I buy rough ground stainless from www.nsm-ny.com by the sheet and have my patterns water jet cut. Having them rough ground helps level out any warp.

Its difficult to do finish work on a blade and have it come out even after you have put the handle on.

You are doing great! Now make another one.

Another one is always on my bench lol. Broke two y yesterday. Tried to temper them at 375 that didn't work out to well. They were way to brittle. I knew they probably would be from what I have read. I just had to try it for myself tho. Got a Skinner and a tactical bowie hybrid thingy on the bench now. Both are ready for ht.

Pearson marxman the buck stops here.

0218141423a.jpg0218141423b.jpg
I just couldn't stand the no shine from the oil finish. so I had to shine it up a bit and put an epoxy finish on it. now im happy

Back