Anneal 416?

Black cat

Despite my searching I cant track down the HT info for 416.

I'm having problems with my bolster pins they're hard as... Well... Steel :p

I think I overheat them when I cut them with a zip cut disk, and would like to anneal them. Could somebody direct me to the HT info thanks!

The only way I've been successful at getting a good anneal on 416 is to put it in the heat treat oven, ramp to 1350F, hold for two hours and then allow to cool down in the oven (I generally leave it overnight.) The problem with pins is going to be the scale....removing it after annealing is going to lessen the diameter of the pins. My advice is to NOT use a cutoff wheel......but either a bandsaw or the edge of an X or Y weight belt.....dipping it to keep it cool during the process. Safety note: If you use a bandsaw on pin stock, hold one end of the pin in vise grips, and keep your fingers clear! The saw teeth will "grab" the radius of the pin, and spin/rotate it into the blade....and if a finger (or in my case a thumb) gets sucked in, it means a trip to the ER to get things sewn up! :)

It's just a thumb, slap some duct tape on it ;) That's good advice about the bandsaw! I've seen it happen myself in high school and it's not good.

The scale! That had not occured to me, could explain why there is little info on annealing the pins. I will cut some new ones and use a hack saw from now on thanks!

I just wanted to add, ouch! Losing a thumb or part of it is horrible. I hope it wasnt too bad :/

Last edited:
Back