Ancient Fish Hooks

I collect Hooks like these from Hawaii, and other Pacific areas. You have done an excellent job on the ones you have displayed.

Mammoth Ivory Fish Hook

attachment.php

My Latest hand carved hook in Mammoth Ivory.
Thanks for looking,
Steve:steve:

mamhook.jpg

Last edited:
Dude,that's...uh,well, 'off the hook'!:biggrin:
:35:
Very cool,I've never seen one in mammoth before.

attachment.php

Had a piece of mammoth bark left over from a small folder and made this "Icthus" for my sister-in-law. Icthus is an ancient Greek word for FISH (spelled IXOYE in Greek) and is commonly used as a religious symbol. Google also refers to it as "the Giving Fish" or "Jesus fish".

Funny thing is that when I called it a "Jesus Fish" my wife calls me a heathen. Thanks Google....

I don't imagine that there are too many, if any others, of these around in 10,000 year old mammoth

Thanks for looking,
Steve

photo.jpg

Without lost souls like me there would be no need for souls savers who save lost souls, or something like that............

Hey Steve, I hadn't been keeping up with this thread. Your artwork is awesome!! I really like the mammoth fish hook. Don't know whether I should show the pics to Brenda or not. Could get expensive! LOL

Good work Steve, but I still think them fishhooks are out of this world amazing!!
I got to get me one!!

I didn't send him one but I will send him a bill, thank you very much.

Check out this dremel-knapped carbon fiber arrowhead. I'm thinking of burying it in the front yard just to conuse future archeologists.

attachment.php

Now I know what to do with my scrap!

Back