Almost Ready For Heat Treat!!

Steven Long

Well it has been a while since I have had anything worth posting. I started a thread a while back about my first two knife attempts. Unfortunately, they didn't end up looking too good and went into the "save for later" bucket, along with 2 others (they look so bad that I am too embarrassed to show them). I recently started working on 5 new ones of the same pattern and am finally starting to get a "feel" for it. I am growing confidence with every hour spent in the shop, and every minute researching. Knifedogs.com has been a blessing in helping me learn all of the secret tips and tricks and also understanding the basics of building a knife. "Knifemaking with Bob Loveless" and "The Loveless Legend" have also really helped me out. After months of research and tinkering around in the shop, it is all kind of starting to make sense. This is the time when I love starting hobbies. The feeling of all of your hard work piecing itself together and making sense is amazing

I am making 5 knives inspired by Bob Loveless' Drop Point Hunter. 3 out of 1/8" 440-C and 2 out of 5/32" O1.

The first one below has the bevels ground in and almost ready for heat treat, after a few more hours of hand sanding. The plunge lines are a little off (one is too low so hopefully I can bring the other side down a little without damaging it too bad), will hopefully be able to fix that tomorrow. Trying to learn on the Craftsman brings a few hurdles I need to get used to. I kept gouging the handle area while trying to smooth it out and ended up doing a tapered tang. I think it looks pretty good for an accident and first time. The balance is actually pretty good. I plan on bringing it to a mirror finish, hopefully. It's a little crooked here and there but I think it will turn out pretty good for a first completed knife. Let me know what you think and please don't be shy, be honest and give it to me straight. I can handle it...

323.jpg

322.jpg

321.jpg

312.jpg

320.jpg

318.jpg

311.jpg

And here are the rest of them. Three have the scribe lines done and ready for the initial grind and the last one is ready for the bevels and maybe tapered tang before that. It's going to be fun having the next three days to be in the shop without any distractions.

315.jpg

314.jpg

I have also been making more antler handled firesteels to sell and give out to friends for the holidays. These are really fun to make.

016_zpsbee0152f.jpg

017_zpsdfbd7f56.jpg

018_zpsd457b535.jpg

Thanks for looking and have a great holiday!

Last edited:
I think those look great. Bear in mind that you'll be your own worst critic. I always see every single glaring flaw in my knives that other people never seem to notice.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Here it is ready for heat treat...

001.jpg

It really doesn't look any different from the first pictures but I took it down to 800 grit. I had to repeat the process a few times to get it to look this good, but I figured if I kept going, I would end up with another trashed knife. Sometimes you just have to know when to say enough is enough. I'm still pretty proud of it so far and am excited to finally have gotten this far.

Thanks for looking and I will post some pictures when I get a handle on it.

Everything looks good to me. Getting a tapered tang centered is tough so I bet with being able to do that, and with the tight fit for the firesteels you'll be doing just fine. Keep up the large clear photos!

Back