Aldo 1084, how rough is it initially? Not sure I'm wording that right.

Geoffrey

My NWG is pretty much ready to go. I have my order of belts/parts all set from USA Knife Maker Supply, and now I need to get an order for steel sorted out.

I asked on here about 1084 and got positive responses so I believe this will be the steel I start with.

My question is how rough is it compared to a precision steel like O1? The only bar stock I have worked with is O1 and 154CM both from knifemaker.ca and I have only roughed out their outlines with an angle grinder, I haven't actually ground them yet.

I know the 1084 is NOT going to be all nice and crisp and flat/square. Just curious how much prep work will need to be done to the material before starting work on knives. I seem to remember people using a hard, flat piece of marble and sandpaper to true up the steel before knife making. Is it as simple as that to get started with 1084 or will there be much straightening or truing up the bars?

Does anyone have pictures of the steel as it comes shipped to them?

I guess as a newbie I am curious if I would be better off starting with a precision bar stock or learning on a little rougher bar stock.

Thanks all.

I don't think you will have any trouble with it. The best way I can describe it is it looks like common mild steel with the scale removed.

Just an FYI, If you order directly from Aldo you can get your steel surface ground.

Probably a good way to go for stock removal knives.

-Josh

Thanks for the info Josh, I didn't see that listed anywhere on their site.

Have you gone this route before? Was it overly expensive?

I've never had it ground but know the do offer it. Give them a call on the price.

I've got a surface grinder so I do my own.

-Josh

Back