About to embark on my first knife(knives)

here is a picture of the brand i'm going to use on my sheaths. i had my brother CNC it for me (this is just burned into a 2x4)

Other than that I'm finishing up gluing on handles and spacers. It's a slow tedious process. Still looking for a Tormek or the like to sharpen all these as well.

c34fcc6d.jpg

You're the kind of talented young man we need in our profession... just don't make the rest of us look bad... OK.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the quick replies! I can see this is a very active forum which is great.

Going off of all your replies, I'm going to stick with one design (drop point). Also I'll probably end up sending them somewhere to heat treat. I dont want to mess them up. We'll see when I read up on it some more.

I got some tools this weekend, now I'm just waiting on the O1. I'll get some pictures up as I get along. I drew up some designs this weekend on cardstock. I want to document all the steps with pictures to have some sort of a scrap book at the end that I can show them all.

Anyways here are some pictures of the longbow (Leopardwood Riser w/ Curly Maple) I built. It was a custom one off design. All radii were hand drawn / sanded, no jigs were used. For my first bow build I am very happy with how it turned out. 55# @ 28". I figured people that build one off things would appreciate it albeit a different form...

Thats a nice looking riser. I have been hunting with a recurve for about three years now. I don't think i be picking my old compounds anytime soon.

You're the kind of talented young man we need in our profession... just don't make the rest of us look bad... OK.

I agree with Jeff... and as another new guy, that is also what scares me about how good this is going to turn out. :)

HAHAH thanks for the kind words guys. i guess being so anal is finally paying off in some aspects. i'm still pretty jacked up about that brand (a brand of a brand!! lol). i think it adds a nice professional touch!!

Some pictures of the red and white spacers I'm using. Also, some pictures of knives that have the front of the scales profiled but are waiting to be glued. EEK! I need to clean off my work table...I should be done gluing everything up this week, then can clean up a little. Gluing is SUCH a slow process. Even on nights where I want to bust a bunch of stuff out, you can to wait for things to dry!!!

c8349119.jpg

8f5abb38.jpg

23827be1.jpg

1ff2e421.jpg

some updates...all scales are glued...have 2 more to "rough" profile...
moving along though, 55 days til the wedding. looming deadline is getting CLOSE!! lol

photobucket-562-1310485836303.jpg

photobucket-6600-1310485835792.jpg

photobucket-41991-1310485835823.jpg

OmegaRed if I am looking at your pictures it looks like your blades are not finnished and you are glueing on the handles. I think you should finnish your blades first and then glue your handles on. It is going to be very difficult to clean the blades right up to the handle front.

Best man's knife: Amboyna Burl scale

photobucket-30597-1310728882172.jpg

And Pieter, you are correct. They are glued on first...I actually screwed up on a few and didn't profile the fronts before I glued them on. As for the rest of the blades, they only need finish hand sanding. It's more of a pain in the butt (and definitely not the best way to by means of order of operation) to do it, but I am trying to speed the process up as I'm running low on time.

Got to working on the sheath template last night...I'm have three more knives to shape, then it's just finish sanding / buffing / sealing. Oh ya, and 40 days til D-DAY!
Here is the layout of the brand on my template.
photobucket-39739-1311690474364.jpg

Pretty sweet picture if I do say so myself.

photobucket-39740-1311690474454.jpg

Trying to get the sheath to where I like it...I'm making it slightly bigger so I make sure I get all of the brand on it...then I'll trim it down later.

photobucket-39328-1311690475153.jpg

My final template. I'm planning on branding them all at the same time, then cutting them all at once. Is there any problems / reasons not to do this?

photobucket-39738-1311690476935.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the best man's knife - about 95% complete. I need to do about another 15 minutes of sanding on it, buff and seal. I'm happy with how it turned out. Amboyna Burl
cd0ed55a.jpg

df824c04.jpg

First sheath - I'm content with how it turned out. Far from perfect, but better than not getting one hahaha

photobucket-3510-1313771924958.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I've had a few people ask for details on these getting finished.

Here is a prezi I made: http://prezi.com/jw38__oj6vql/handmade-groomsman-knives/

It's like a powerpoint but cooler lol. All the guys were thrilled, it was a very awesome and rewarding experience being able to give these to the best friends of my life. The wedding went absolutely perfect, and the reception was a blast! We went to Riveria Maya in Mexico, so that was a good experience as well (minus Montazuma's Revenge).
I want to thank everyone that helped out on this...without you I wouldn't have been able to finish these. I look forward to making some more in the future...but not the near future! I've got too many pet projects that need to get finished before winter (building a pheasant pen, firewood, ad nauseaum )

Hope you enjoy the pictures

Back