A or B

I will try to get a better side by side comparison shot of the two of them together.

Thank you for all of the critiques. Some of the items mentioned I never noticed, or paid little attention too. The more I do the less I seem to know, but that’s half the fun.

I choose A because it has cleaner lines, but B has better fit and finish. This is all personal opinion so take it at face value. What I'm about to say goes against the grain of what most knifemaker's are trying to accomplish. There have been a thousand threads about speeding up knife making to make more knives. This is a good goal if you are truly doing part-time or full-time work. But starting out slow helps more than you think. I would add 15 or 20 minutes to each step of your process. The more time you spend now the more time will be saved later. It still takes me like 30 hours to make a simple 3 piece Hunter! That's no joke it's a slow boring process but I love every minute of it. Your knives are very well thought out and I would be happy owning either of those knives, so would anyone else.
A tip that help me get cleaner lines and only takes a minute a minute to do. Is to take a sharp pencil and trace out the knife before hand sanding.
20181025_170523.jpg
If you have any flat spots where you want curves, or curves where you want flat, it's easier to fix it now over trying to fix it when you're trying to finish the handle.

Seeing them like that gives a much clearer look at them Kev and I think if you had done that initially you might just have had a few more votes for the B knife. It is a much more attractive knife shown like that with a very nice skinner type belly to the blade. Both knives are worthy of the KITH and I think that whoever gets it would be equaly pleased with either one.

Seeing them like that gives a much clearer look at them Kev and I think if you had done that initially you might just have had a few more votes for the B knife. It is a much more attractive knife shown like that with a very nice skinner type belly to the blade. Both knives are worthy of the KITH and I think that whoever gets it would be equaly pleased with either one.

I’m not much of a photographer. I may have to rely on my son (actually a professional photographer), in the future.
Thank you for the comments.

Kev....thanks for the side by side pics. It helps to assess them fairly and evenly.

First off....great job on both as to the lines and overall profiles. Both look clean and deliberately shaped. Handle finishes on both look pretty nice.

I still prefer A. I like the more drastically shaped handle. It has nicer curve appeal. The handle looks sleek and slim and comfortable. The blades are very similar but have subtle differences. A has a slimmer leaner looking blade, a tad less belly and a more pleasing point.

I rather like the choil/sharpening notch on A but I think I'd prefer if the plunge line came in into the center or highest arc of the choil instead of at the trailing edge.

The unsharpened heel section behind the choil on A could've been rounded off on the edge so it didn't look quite so flat and sharp.

Also, if the plunge lines on A were forward a little, the scale fronts could've been moved forward a little also and the finger grooves/wells on the bottom of the handle could have been softened a little so as to avoid the long sharp point on the bottom front corner of the scales.

Knife B looks generally a little blockier and less refined in both blade and handle. I personally don't care for the exposed lanyard hole, especially in the way it was done on this particular handle.

I don't know in what order you made these but if I was guessing, I'd say B was made first and A second, as A seems to show adjustments and refinements to B.

I hope my comments don't offend. Both are pretty nice blades and are pretty well designed and executed, especially for no longer than you've been at this.

Thank for the advice, and suggestions. There is no substitute for an educated eye when it comes to this type of thing.
You are correct, about the order of things. I built B first. I used some different techniques on A and there was a bit more planning around that knife.
Thanks again for the assessment, a service I’d pay for, and am thrilled to receive.

Back