A knife designed by a master engraver

oldknife

I did not like this design from the get go, but I did it, the frame and scales are of steel of the same kind, he is going to fully engrave the scales and then blue them, it will have a nickel sheath that will be engraved, you needed to be able to take it all apart to blue it, this is the only way I could think of to do it and get it back together after engraving and bluing and try and keep the weight down, not crazy about things that come apart, used four line up pins so it will go back and fit seems to be working at this time.I am going to make a plate to screw the scales to that will go in the engravers vice so as not to distort the scales, am hoping it all works, this thing has taken a lot of time, hope it dose not go to pot. Deane

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 105
wow, I cant wait to see the finished project. Fascinating on how your connecting the handle and tang.

Erik

Whenever someone wants to do something outside the norm it generates creative solutions.
Knifemakers like to do the same things they have always done, much like most people.

I am working on doing some carving on handles for a very large display-type knife.
It is a challenge because I need every square millimeter for the carving and the pins to attach the scales are in the way.
I'm going to figure out how to do it, somehow.
As a carver, that's what I want to add to this knife (and it's 95 brothers and sisters sitting in inventory gathering dust)

I'm glad you had the nerve to take something like this on.
It's how innovation happens and new things are created.

A headache, yeah.
Looks like it will be worth it in the end.

Be good.

t

Looks like a good design. I'm also looking forward to seeing the result.

The added piece to clamp the scales to is good thinking.

That is slick!!! So simple looking, but does require a very high level of skill and talent to make it work - and you sure have made it work!

Ken H>

Thanks for the comments guys, all the engraver gave me was a outside drawing and said this is what he wanted, some what like an engineer, don't know when I will get it finished, the engraver is going to the hospital tomorrow don't know what the outcome will be if he is not able to finish it will get some one else to do the engraving. Deane

I have the knife and sheath done I don't think the engraver is going to be able to finish it for me his health is failing him, he was two doors down from the shooting at the hospital here in Reno the other day, will just waight and see what happens. DeaneIMG_0377.jpgIMG_0378.jpgIMG_0379.jpg

Back