A few questions on shop tools, never made a knife before...

For a quench tank, I bought one of the elcheapo electric roasters kind of a big oblong square pot, it has a liner that goes into it and has a lid and temp adjustments from 100 deg to 400 deg. I think I paid $45 for it.has worked for 2 yrs with no issue and the lid seals tight so if you get a flare up it puts it out quickly.

As for a band saw, it gets priceyer I bought a Milwaukee port a band, it is variable speed and had a larger throat area. I stand this upright in a vise and put a spring clamp on the trigger. It is the most used tool in my shop1 Cost $325 on sale at Fastenall. I would be worried with the set up you mention as the speed may be a problem. I know a lot of gys that have the HF tilt up bandsaws that love them. They may be a little less pricey.

Hope this helps!

God Bless
Mike

Last edited:
For a quench tank, I bought one of the elcheapo electric roasters kind of a big oblong square pot, it has a liner that goes into it and has a lid and temp adjustments from 100 deg to 400 deg. I think I paid $45 for it.has worked for 2 yrs with no issue and the lid seals tight so if you get a flare up it puts it out quickly.

As for a band saw, it gets priceyer I bought a Milwaukee port a band, it is variable speed and had a larger throat area. I stand this upright in a vise and put a spring clamp on the trigger. It is the most used tool in my shop1 Cost $325 on sale at Fastenall. I would be worried with the set up you mention as the speed may be a problem. I know a lot of gys that have the HF tilt up bandsaws that love them. They may be a little less pricey.

Hope this helps!

God Bless
Mike

Thanks for the advice. I actually went quench tank shopping today. I had planned on getting a stock pot but came home with a blue enamelware roasting pan. It's oblong shape looked like it would be better for quenching a longer blade. I will probably have to upgrade to a tank that holds more oil if I'm doing multiple blades at once, but I think this should get me started ok.

Back