A dunk bucket tip for all!

The toxic ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Not to be confused with Propylene glycol, which is commonly use in cosmetics and in small amounts in food or with ethyl alcohol which some of us have been known to consume (in small quantities of course).

Immediately after ethylene glycol ingestion. Animals show signs similar to alcohol intoxication; nausea and vomiting often are present. Large overodses may cause acute death. Animals also may also have increased water consumption and urination. Later the toxic metabolites may depress the central nervous systemand/or depress the respiratory system. Therefore, affected animals may be sleepy during this first stage of toxicosis and the owners may not notice an impending problem.
12 to 24 hours after ingestion of ethylene glycol the pet may have increased heart rate and respiration, the majority of owners rarely notice these signs of toxicosis.
The final stage is renal failure occurs 24-72 hours after ingestion of ethylene glycol. By the point the renal tubules are damaged and the pet is in renal failure. The pet is depressed may be vomiting or have neurological symptoms. This damage is slow to heal if it does so at all and pets usually die before kidney function begins to return. Iv fluids and if availabel dialysis are essential to survival.

If noted early enough there are measures your veterinarian can take to prevent this course so if you know your pet has consumed antifreeze contact them immediately.

Michael (don't know much about making knives but this is my area of knowledge since I am a veterinarian)

The toxic ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Not to be confused with Propylene glycol, which is commonly use in cosmetics and in small amounts in food or with ethyl alcohol which some of us have been known to consume (in small quantities of course).

Immediately after ethylene glycol ingestion. Animals show signs similar to alcohol intoxication; nausea and vomiting often are present. Large overodses may cause acute death. Animals also may also have increased water consumption and urination. Later the toxic metabolites may depress the central nervous systemand/or depress the respiratory system. Therefore, affected animals may be sleepy during this first stage of toxicosis and the owners may not notice an impending problem.
12 to 24 hours after ingestion of ethylene glycol the pet may have increased heart rate and respiration, the majority of owners rarely notice these signs of toxicosis.
The final stage is renal failure occurs 24-72 hours after ingestion of ethylene glycol. By the point the renal tubules are damaged and the pet is in renal failure. The pet is depressed may be vomiting or have neurological symptoms. This damage is slow to heal if it does so at all and pets usually die before kidney function begins to return. Iv fluids and if availabel dialysis are essential to survival.

If noted early enough there are measures your veterinarian can take to prevent this course so if you know your pet has consumed antifreeze contact them immediately.

Michael (don't know much about making knives but this is my area of knowledge since I am a veterinarian)

Thanks Michael,

We are almost all Dog owners here and it's great to hear the systoms to look for. Dog's can find that from vehicles in alley's etc... I hear that it taste sweet to them and that many wild birds and other wildlife can & do die from drinking it.

My bucket is kept in the back of the Shop that my doggie knows not to go into. He stays upfront to greet the Customers and has a fresh bowl of water put by his basket every morning.

I know you can never be to safe with your pet's!

Thanks again.
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The antifreeze must be working as an anti-oxidant, which in some way or another prevents the steel from combining oxygen with the iron content. It probably also prevents oxidation in a wide range of metals. Also, does viscosity have something to do with a quench? I remember reading somewhere where some folks use liquid detergent in the quench to make it "wetter." Perhaps the antifreeze is acting like a detergent making the water, wetter? Damn, it has been to many years since college chemistry.

The antifreeze must be working as an anti-oxidant, which in some way or another prevents the steel from combining oxygen with the iron content. It probably also prevents oxidation in a wide range of metals. Also, does viscosity have something to do with a quench? I remember reading somewhere where some folks use liquid detergent in the quench to make it "wetter." Perhaps the antifreeze is acting like a detergent making the water, wetter? Damn, it has been to many years since college chemistry.

I haven't totally given up on testing this, for water quenching of some sort.

To answer your question about viscosity affecting the quench is, yes. That's why on faster speed steels, quench oil is heated, to increase the viscosity. I'm thinking the first way to attempt this is to find the best mixture of Anti freeze to keep it safer. Which leads me to start testing at 1/2 and 1/2 ratio. I'm thinking about a ratio of either 3:1, or 4:1 (water: AF). I haven't stopped thinking about this, I'm thinking an interrupted quench with AF mixture 2to 3 seconds and then in to the quench oil. What do y'all think? Rex

Anti-Freeze is made to inhibit rust/Oxidation in Brass, Copper Steel, Iron and every other metal used in a automotive cooling system.

It's been another month or so since I added the Anti-freeze to my dunk bucket and it is working great!

Virtually no spotting on my Stainless Steel blades. I just add a bit more water every few days to keep the 50/50 mix.

I have used dish soap in a quench bucket to break the surface tension and let the grinding particles
sink to the bottom. The Anti-Freeze seems to do that just fine.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I can't believe I haven't thought of putting ant-freeze in my dunk bucket to stop it from freezing in the winter. :34:
Glad to hear it has other positive qualities too!

Yes Mike! It will do that too! LOL.
Welcome to the dog pack here at KnifeDogs! I keep loving it a bit more all the time. I just finished up about 28 Stainless blades for HT and there is not any rust spotting on them at all!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I can't believe I haven't thought of putting ant-freeze in my dunk bucket to stop it from freezing in the winter. :34:
Glad to hear it has other positive qualities too!

OMG!!! I hadn't even considered that!!!!! When I read this, it was the biggest DUH!!! I've had in a while! That is a pretty good one there! Now, I gotta go check my A-F bottle, see how much is left! Rex

Laurence,
After trying this at your shop the other day, I used antifreeze in my dunk bucket. One big thing I noticed was after dunking my 1095 blades, I am not getting any rust on the blades after they sit over night !

Laurence,
After trying this at your shop the other day, I used antifreeze in my dunk bucket. One big thing I noticed was after dunking my 1095 blades, I am not getting any rust on the blades after they sit over night !

Great! I knew when I saw the diff on Stainless steel that you guys with Carbon steels should be Dancing in the streets!:1971_dancing_dog:

Glad it's working for you.

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Immediately after ethylene glycol ingestion. Animals show signs similar to alcohol intoxication; nausea and vomiting often are present. Large overodses may cause acute death.

No offense, but is there any other kind?

I've used borax myself,
I think the Anti-Freeze works a bit better. Then for the new Dog's & Doggette's,
Some liquid Dish soap breaks the surface tension on the top of the water and lets your grindings etc Sink to the bottom. Makes for less to wipe before your next grinding pass on the belt.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back