A Couple of New/Old Rusty/Crustys

Church & Son

I was determined not to waste this winter like I usually do by sitting around in the evenings with nothing knife oriented to do. I build Trade Show Exhibits for a living and Oct.- Feb. is our busy time. 60-90 hours a week so it leaves the forge idle waiting on longer days. This summer I traded for a bucket of old knifelike things for short day projects, and these two were the first to crawl out. One reminded me of a English Scalper, the other a Spanish Gaucho Criollos, neither had handles and the Gaucho had a broken tip. Neither were marked but probably "Old Hickory" or similar.
(Click to Enlarge)

Handles are now Oak from the charcoal pile, both have rawhide wraps "Baseball" stitched on, poured bolsters and the Gaucho has a poured butt. Finish is my usual blend of grease, dirt, homebrew walnut stain and varnish. Plains Indian style Beaded sheaths are in the works now (Not sure if beading is an art form or a form of insanity).
These have been fun, it has given an excuse to move some of the "forge" inside- no lights or heat out there.......Randy

Please, call me Denny. It sounds as if you are crazy busy in the winter time. Those are a lot of hours to put in.

Back