8.5 Western Chef

Josh Dabney

Had so much fun making my last set of kitchen knives I figured I'd give a go at making myself a Western styled chef's knife.

Specs-
1095 Stock Removed. Clay HT & tempered at 375 Had some clay blow off in the quench making for some interesting activity ;)
Blade length 8 1/2"
Overall length 13 5/8
Height at the heel 2 5/16"
Thickness on the spine in front of scales .095 with full length distal taper
Scales are Natural Cocobolo
2 Brass corbys and a brass flared tube. (Corbys were leftover from the first Military build)
Hand sharpened to DMT Extra Extra Fine and stropped on 1 Micron diamond paste
EDITED to add- Balance point is directly on the heel at the edge

There are a few flaws here which I pretty much left go since it's just for Me :) Scratched the blade in couple places and got a little chip-out when cleaning out the tubing hole which of course filled up with brass when flaring the tubing. A prime reminder that there's NO place for laziness in the shop. Take 1 minute to change the speed of the drill press back to a proper speed for the task at hand BEFORE cleaning out that hole because it WONT be alright... even just this once ;) End of self chastising rant :les:

Anyway here's the pics-
020-8.jpg

021-8.jpg

022-7.jpg

023-6.jpg

024-6.jpg

027-6.jpg

Since this one is mine ya know I HAD to cut some stuff up !

Dropped tomato didn't split in two but went all the way until it hit the cutting board
028-6.jpg

A bit of dicing and slicing
030-5.jpg

031-4.jpg

032-4.jpg

Working on a natural patina already

034-3.jpg

Let me know what you guys think !

Take care,

Josh

Last edited:
Josh,
Great looking Chef knife you have made there! I like the way you dropped the point and have just a little rock in the belly. I have seen carbon steel Culinary knives with a forced patina, Guys use Mustard, and Jack Daniels for tiger stripes. I prefer Grey Poupon and really have a better use for my J.D. :biggrin:

www.foodieforums.com there is a thread about this there.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I could use some Jack but I'd have to siphon it back up and drink it... rusty or not ;) Anything less would be uncivilized :)

No need to force it either as it's gonna see lotsa use. And I'm sure my better half will leave it "SOAKING" in a pan of dirty water soon enough.

Appreciate the link ! I'm gonna check that forum out.

-Josh

I could use some Jack but I'd have to siphon it back up and drink it... rusty or not ;) Anything less would be uncivilized :)

No need to force it either as it's gonna see lotsa use. And I'm sure my better half will leave it "SOAKING" in a pan of dirty water soon enough.

Appreciate the link ! I'm gonna check that forum out.

-Josh

That's the idea behind a forced Patina,
Wife proofing!:biggrin: It will help protect it some.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Cook a roast nice and rare, slice it with the knife and make a sandwich with the sliced and the knife and let it sit for a few minutes. Slices are the bread, knife is the filling. Gives a nice colorful Patina quickly :)

Well... it's been a couple of months, including Thanksgiving... How's the blade looking these days?

Glad you asked Brad. She's getting stained up and looking great :) Performing quite well too. This in now my Go-To knife for just about everything so it's seeing lots of use.

I did tune the edge-up back to crazy sharp on thanksgiving before carving our bird. Holds a blazin edge and resharpens in about two minutes on the stones which are just the qualities I like in a blade.

When ya got a knife that cuts like a lazer there's no need for an electric jobbie :)

ChefandTurkey.jpg

Appreciate the comments Fellas ! I'm no chef but I have carved a bird or 20 in my days ;)

-Josh

Back