5160 & Black Walnut Camp/utility w/SS bolsters

Removing that stuff seems to give me 2 problems:

1) Finding the right tool to get into all the areas that won't do more harm than good

2) Preventing the buffing compound itself from causing marks. It doesn't want to come off easily, gets everywhere, and since it contains a mild abrasive tends to leave marks when it's wiped off if not EXTREMELY careful. The first knife on which I had buffed the bolsters, I wasn't really aware of this and it left a faint polished line a Qtip's width out from the bolster face (across the direction of the sanding lines, of course...)

Problem '2' tends to cause me more trouble than problem '1'!

Thanks again guys!

Nice job Thank you very much!

Post #20 sounds helpful.

Just a thought, that popped into my head . .

If your not using Epoxy to hold the bolsters on, do you think it would be possible to use a solvent to dissolve the compound while it's still warm from buffing, W/O any scratching?

I piened the bolsters on without any adhesive, so unfortunately that method wouldn't work for me (and I'm not sure I would have the patience anyway:) ).

The way I've done it since is using qtips WELL soaked with solvent, and constantly tried to present a fresh, compound-free surface as I wiped the compound away. This takes a lot of time and a lot of qtips, but I'm not sure how else to do it.

I've seen this knife up close and personal. It's obviously so messed up that I think Paul should give it to me so nobody else needs to see how bad it is. ;-{)

Seriously, Paul is doing some fine work and these early pieces should be snapped up before he realizes what they're worth.

Congrats, Paul.
Cheers!
Moon

Thanks Mike!

For anyone that has never met Mike or gotten to fondle his work, do yourself a favor and check out his website...or even better, look him up at a knife show and 'chat him up'. He's a great guy, makes stunningly beautiful knives, and is very generous with his knowledge.

Back