416SS only available in bar stock?

J S Machine

I know many slipjoint makers use 416SS for their bolsters, and I assumed they were using it for the liners as well. I was on the hunt for some 416ss sheet yesterday and could not find any. A few suppliers tell me that it is not made in sheet...??I guess the only answer to this is that you are making integral liners, where the liners and bolsters are milled from one piece, or you may be using 410 for the liners and 416 for the bolsters. My only thing there is: Wouldn't you be able to see the transition line from the bolster to the liner, and is that acceptable? In the past I have used 410 for everything, but 416 is easier to work with, IMO.

410 liners and 416 bolsters, they are so close that you won't see a color change from bolster to liner.

Stan

I agree with Stan, in my experience it is very difficult to catch the transition bolster/liner even if the ss it's little different...the same doesn't apply to the pin/bolster transition...GRRRR

some guys are using 420 and heat treating it for liners to make it a little harder. I couldn't tell you how it blends with 416 though. I do know side by side looking at them (420 and 416), it's impossible to tell them apart.

Back