416 stainless is getting scarce - what 400 or 300 ss will you switch to and why?

303 is engravable but heck on breaking the tool points. Lots of resharpening. Its hard enough engraving on objects that are not flat then to add that factor in. I have not engraved any because people have told me life is to short. I figured i would learn from there mistakes. Once you make a cut your committed!

I know several engravers that will not engrave 303. These are guys so busy with orders, they don't want the extra headache with engraving it.

I tried 300 series first and aside from not being magnetic, it was "gummy." 416 works and finishes like a dream.

was talking to some other makers about a month ago about 416 and how hard it is to find. Not only that but when you find it the size is not what you need. Most said they were starting to use 410, And if you find some 1/8" stock please Get it Boss.

The fact that i have not tried engraving it bothers me. If anyone is willing to send me a scrap peice i could report back with my opinion and not heresay. A friend of mine is doing a knife build for me and it will have a nice big double guard and your right we are having a hard time finding 416. 303 no problem getting.

The fact that i have not tried engraving it bothers me. If anyone is willing to send me a scrap peice i could report back with my opinion and not heresay. A friend of mine is doing a knife build for me and it will have a nice big double guard and your right we are having a hard time finding 416. 303 no problem getting.

Doug, since this isn't a court of law I don't believe hearsay is a problem. The fact is most engravers who work on our knives won't cut 303, or if they will they charge more. As you push the line it work hardens, then tears out leaving a ragged cut. It takes extra time to clean up the cuts. On the other hand, 416 and 410 (along with most mild steels, 4130, and 4140) cut cleanly without the work hardening and tearing. Reliable sources include Ray Cover, Brian Hochstrat, Jim Small, Tim Adlam, and others that I know and work with. If they tell me not to make a fitting from 303 for them to engrave, I tend to listen to them.

In addition, 303 and 304 have somewhat similar compositions, but 303 is considered a free machining stainless. You'll find 304 to be gummy and a hard material from which to make fittings on knives. Just drilling a hole in it will twist off your drills. It's nasty stuff! On the other hand, 303 is fairly easy to work as fittings material. I've used it many times without any trouble. It's just not good for engraving.

Engraving 303 is a lot like engraving 6al4v titanium. It can be done, but you spend a lot more time either re-sharpening your gravers or cleaning up ragged cuts, or both.

David

And the Gavel falls! LOL David i know most of the gentleman you mentioned and respect and believe them. I just wanted to try it for myself in case i ever run into it i will know exactly what it feels like. I am sorry for it sounding like i did not believe the others. That was not my intent.

Alright fellas I have found out from my source of 410ss that he is gonna have some new 416ss incomming soon. I just got off the phone with Chuck Bybee at AlphaKnifesupply and he told me he has some on order and will be made soon. Of course I had to get 410ss for the time being but he assured me that there is 416 incoming. Thanks.

Back