2nd Slipjoint Under My Belt! -RohdeEdge

Daniel Rohde

I'm typing this from my phone so it might be a bit brief.

Anyhow, this is my second slipjoint to date. The action on this one is beautiful. I love it. I'm really looking forward to making more. I used some .005" bronze washers on this one and it worked out great.
It's about 4 1/2" long when closed, 3" blade. Vintage Micarta scales with stainless liners(316ss). 1095 carbon steel blade with hamon. It's really a nice knife and I really like it. Kind of like a grandfathers knife in my mind.

Here are some pictures(WIP stuff is in my Instagram)
69f147864acf9ba6819b5d2b922f2c6c.jpg

7f0874eeb6240ec81b41cf6327b355e7.jpg

2dceef56b4da948b7ca2e1152784c176.jpg

Im going to see if I can get a video of the action on it.

What do you think? Improvement at all?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

There is some finishing issues I will work on but some of those things will work themselves out as I make more.

EDIT: I have to cut the nail nicks by hand(Dremal) and there really not up to par in my mind, what kind of blade should I use to cut them and how? Tips?

I replied to the other thread, but I really love this knife. I'm all about classic looking knives and this one of yours is right up my alley. I finally got the materials to begin on my first folder. Do you feel like you are limited without a mill and surface grinder? That's the part that has me worried about giving it a shot.

Not sure I've ever seen a slip joint with a hamon. It's cool though.

For the nail nick, If I had no other way, I'd get yourself a grinding stone mounted on a shaft that you could chuck into your drill press and I'd shape and dress it like a dovetail cutter, say 60 degree angle or so, then I'd clamp the blade edge up in a drill press vise and slowly cut/grind the nick in with a dressed stone. Still maybe not ideal but it has to be better than cutting it by hand.

Matter of fact, I think I have some stones already dressed like that, that I would give you. Let me see if I can find them.

I replied to the other thread, but I really love this knife. I'm all about classic looking knives and this one of yours is right up my alley. I finally got the materials to begin on my first folder. Do you feel like you are limited without a mill and surface grinder? That's the part that has me worried about giving it a shot.
Thanks again, John! it definitely looks vintage:blush:. Well, both would be very handy, but at this point I don't really feel to hamstrung without them though they would be VERY useful(particularly a surface grinder) I had the same worries about the tools as you but after you get your hands dirty its not so bad. Just use fresh belts and even presser and measure a lot to get things where they need to be. Seems like the better I get the more fresh belts I go through....:les: If I had to choose one of the two I would take the surface grinder, a mill would be handy but not as much. I wish I could find some one to surface grind things for me sense buying a surface grinder is out of the question(though I try to but it back in the possible;) ) right now.

Not sure I've ever seen a slip joint with a hamon. It's cool though.

For the nail nick, If I had no other way, I'd get yourself a grinding stone mounted on a shaft that you could chuck into your drill press and I'd shape and dress it like a dovetail cutter, say 60 degree angle or so, then I'd clamp the blade edge up in a drill press vise and slowly cut/grind the nick in with a dressed stone. Still maybe not ideal but it has to be better than cutting it by hand.

Matter of fact, I think I have some stones already dressed like that, that I would give you. Let me see if I can find them.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not, haha.

I'll try see what I can come up with, thanks!

Thanks John!

EDIT: HEY! your on Instagram now! sweet!

Nice work. I suggest you add a bolster on the pivot end for the next one. That'll protect your pivot.

Grinding the nick on a drill press does work.:35:

Daniel I think he is refering to the bolsters on most slip joints are either covering the pivot pin or the same material surrounding the pin preventing accidental distorion of the pin from dropping?
Is a beautiful vintage looking knife. The way the hamon and the micarta work together it gives a definate appearance of age yet where the hamon ends is about where many novice would drag their blade accross a stone to sharpen it.

Back