2 x 48 Kalamazoo Sander

d37fan

Now that I have filed the edges on two blades 1/4" thick, I am not in the mood to do that again. I am looking at the Kalamazoo 2 x 48 belt sander with out motor, I have one sitting around. This is what is in my budget at the moment and was wondering if anybody had any experience with this machine. The 2 x 72 would be nicer, but a little out of reach at the moment. Thanks for your time.

I have no experience with the kalamazoo at all, but I wanted to respond that you need to figure in the extra belt cost for your 48" sander. I suspect the extra cost for the 2 x 72 would be mostly covered over less than 100 belts. Also, make sure you have considered the Coote Grinder http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com . Depending on where you are pricing the Kalamazoo, the Coote 72" model could get you a little closer to budget and it is a very well respected machine.

I do understand the budget thing though. I started with files and hacksaw - moved *up* to a 1 x 30 - then to a 2 x 42 before I finally got my 2 x 72.

Enjoy the adventure. :)

I have seen the Kalamazoo grinder that you're talking about and I don't think that it has a good design for knife making. Take a look at the Coote grinder. It does come in 2X48" size but I would recommend the 2X72" grinder. Coote's 2X48" model may not be that much more than the Kalamazoo and is better set up for working with knives.

Doug

I had not seen the Coote before. Looks simple and bullet proof. It just adds another $250 to what I need to come up with. The good thing is I already have the motor for it. Thanks for the info, Dale.

Try going with thinner stock to make your knives. I completely understand the frustration in filing knife bevels--it takes a lot of patience. But you can make a good knife with stock half the thickness and save yourself the arm fatigue. Meanwhile, keep saving those pennies for the 2x72.

The Coote was my first 2 x 72 Grinder. I started with the Files and paper as well.

I still have my Coote 15+ years later along with two other 2 x 72 Machines.

Only Cry once! Save up for the coote, Get some link belt and some step pulleys.
You will be a happy grinding fool!:biggrin:

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

I know it's hard to fight the temptation to get the first thing that looks like it may fill your needs...but....take time to do some homework. If I remember right, the Kalamazoo grinders had limited access to the contact wheel. It's one of the first machines I looked at in the early 80's. I then settled on a Grizzly because of cost, but they're twice the price now. If you're handy and have the tools, consider making one to your specs. My last grinder took one afternoon from junk pile to grinding steel, but I had 30+ years of accumilated parts to work with. Bottom line is, don't jump the gun and settle on an inferior machine. It will just add to an already frustrating job.

2011_0619grinder0005.jpg 2011_0619grinder0009.jpg

Good luck,
Rudy

I have looked at the Coote grinder and am going to get the 2x72. I am able to swing it and will be sending off for it today. Thanks for the input and guidance.
I have the plans for the no weld grinder and will get it built one day, just not today. It wont be that bad to build, but the cost of the contact wheels, that's the hold up there. Oh well, saving my pennies for now.

Back