1095 full tang bowie w/threaded pommel

Frank Hunter

Here's some early photos of this knife as it progresses. Right now the 10.25" 1095 blade is heat treated, the steel guard is silver-soldered in place and I've threaded the tang and pommel for a tight fit. The balance on this knife will be at the guard. Right now it's almost done, just have to install the handle scales, countersink them for Corby fasterners, do some shaping and then complete the finish. This one is part of a 4 piece set that I'm in the midst of.

The blade shows a slight differential in the middle of the hollow grind that's pretty attractive. I think I'll try one of these big ones with some clay and see what shows up. It had been awhile since I did a non-stainless blade this time and had to hurriedly remember my tricks to straighten it back out after the quench but it turned out fine.

I'd do a full WIP on it but I'm a little short of photos on this one. The construction is a simple full tang with the scales pre-shaped to butt symmetrically up against the underside of the guard. I suppose the only trick is that I heat and upset the tang extension to thicken it, then clean it up to 3/8" with a nice clean smooth radius at the junction before I thread it to fit the pommel cap. The next one of this style will have a full-flat grind. I'll burnish the solder joint after I tune up the blade finish. More photos to come when it's complete!

IMG_1725.jpgIMG_1726.jpgIMG_1727.jpgIMG_1729.jpg

That is awesome, got my wheels turning.. What size is your pommel? what size threads will you put on it? Can't wait to see the WIP pics.

-sd

The threading is finished in those first photos. 3/8"-16 NC inside and out. The tang extension is roughly 1/2" long after upsetting it to about .375 rough and then filed round more or less, the tap cuts the soft spot-annealed 1095 easy enough if it's not absolutely perfect. I make sure to leave a good radius where it meets the flat base of the tang, and the pommel is countersunk to match this. It's a very strong joint just threaded tight and with the epoxy will be even stronger.
The pommel is 1 1/8" cold rolled stock and is roughly 1 1/4" long here. It'll be shaped to a slight swell and oval profile, with surface finish matching the blade and guard.
I hope to have this one finished up very early next week.

Back