1095 didn't harden

There are differences between 80CrV2 and 1080+ as well. 80CrV2 traditionally had a shot of nickel, and Moly, that the 1080+ does not have. When I first started making knives....1080+ was my go to steel. EXCELLENT stuff for beginners and experienced smiths alike. There are only very slight additions of Cr and V....not enough carbon to form many carbides at all.....so it looks as if the Cr is there only to aid in hardenability and the vanadium is only there to help keep grain size down during austenitizing. There just isn't enough excess carbon, or enough of Cr or V, to form much carbide action at all. But an improvement over plain 1080, and probably 1084 as well, should be noticed. My experience with it in the kitchen.....the edge lasts a very long time even with the wife using it!!!

cut your losses and buy a bar of 1084(aldo) or 1080+(aks). you have a kiln so you can maintain temperature, both will harden just fine in canola oil. the steel is from a known source, so you should be able to get repeatable results. JMHO

i bought the quench oil last year and haven't looked back. :biggrin:

Repeatable consistent results. I do a lot of hamons with W2, and hitachi steel, so it is worth the investment for me.

warren

Maxim has parks 50 shipped (from texas to east coast) for around $130-140. I too am just beginning knife making and am working w/ 1095, but I want to do it right. I don't have time and energy to waste on screwed up HT. Parks is proven for 1095 like no other oil. The DT-48 (Duratherm 48) made by maxim is also a fast quench oil, but I am going to go with what is proven.

I used to have trouble with 1095 before I invested in a evenheat and a big bucket of Parks 50 . I use a lot of Aldo's 1095 the big thick bars and forge them down and they make some of the sharpest knives . I know there is a lot of great steel out but I still like 1095

Maxim has parks 50 shipped (from texas to east coast) for around $130-140. I too am just beginning knife making and am working w/ 1095, but I want to do it right. I don't have time and energy to waste on screwed up HT. Parks is proven for 1095 like no other oil. The DT-48 (Duratherm 48) made by maxim is also a fast quench oil, but I am going to go with what is proven.

i have the DT 48, because I found it semi locally in Alberta here. I searched for months, and cross border shipping is a pain in the ass. I haven't had any trouble with it, other than it doesn't work at 45 deg f in the Canadian winter when the heat cropped out in the shop.

Back