1084 HT question

exitium

I hope to heat treat some 1084 from aldo this weekend. I picked up a gallon of super brand quickquench, sold by mcmaster car as 11 second quench oil. I see its often recommended to heat the oil to 100-120 or so but thats generally, from what I can tell, when using canola and such.

Is it necessary/desired to preheat the 11 second quench oil as well or is it fine at room temp?

The way I judge whether or not to pre-heat quenchant, is through quench a blade or two with it at room temp. If a vapor pocket forms (it will look like a cloudy envelope surrounding the blade), then I pre-heat, and test again. I'm not familar with that particular quenchant, but what I've described is the method I use to determine if, and/or how much a quenchant is pre-heated.

I hope to heat treat some 1084 from aldo this weekend. I picked up a gallon of super brand quickquench, sold by mcmaster car as 11 second quench oil. I see its often recommended to heat the oil to 100-120 or so but thats generally, from what I can tell, when using canola and such.

Is it necessary/desired to preheat the 11 second quench oil as well or is it fine at room temp?

I am familiar with the original product that McMaster Carr resells as their 11 second, I have connections with R&D where it is made. You want to preheat to 130F-140F, particularly with 1084. You can go as high as 160F but not to 200F or over.

Back