1" Contact wheel?

Geoffrey

I am new here, this is my first question, second post, so I hope I am asking in the right area. :les:

I plan to build a no weld grinder. I want it to be as simple as possible so I plan to have one multi use platen with 2 different sized rubber contact wheels.

I like to modify axes/tomahawks, and will be making fairly simple knives.

I have done a lot of thinking/planning, for the axe/hawks I think a 2" rubber wheel will be ideal, for my knives I believe a 1" rubber wheel would be ideal to do handle contour and well as finger choil work.

I have seen adapters that will allow small wheels to be used like this http://www.usaknifemaker.com/small-wheel-holder-by-knifedog-tools-p-3567.html but what I am wondering is... Are there any 2" wide 1" outside diameter contact wheels like this http://www.usaknifemaker.com/2-contact-wheel-12-bore-p-697.html

I have tried searching here, tried searching google, and I am so far coming up empty.

Can anyone here recommend a 1" diameter contact wheel?

Thanks.

Welcome to the pack.
As far as a 1" wheel with inside bearings. Try www.contactrubber.com You should be able to order it from them.
They make a large amount of the stuff you can get from the Knife supply houses and what grinder makers sell to go with their machines..

let us know how it goes?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Something to keep in mind when setting up your grinder to use the smaller diameter rubber wheels; they can and will come apart at high belt speeds. The friction from the belts along with the high rpm can produce some unwanted and unexpected results.

Good luck with your build, Fred

I have never seen one. I would guess it has to do with the bearing size needed.

Slow down! build your grinder. Work with it a while. You will soon learn what you really need. When I first started blacksmithing I thought that I needed all these tools (swedges, fullers, etc.) as time wen on I found out that I could use other things (a piece of 1" round for a 1" fuller etc.) Then I started selling a lot of the tools that I thought that I needed. Now don't get me wrong here, you do need good tools. Just get a little time behind you and learn what you really do need.

If I can help you further just call me or send me an e-mail me or send me a PM. This goes for any of you other dogs out there. See you at the Blade Show.

Wayne brings up a good point, From my own experience It's easy to go nuts thinking I need this and this and...

The one tool I purchased that has been second only to my hardCore Grinder.
It a Foredom Flex shaft Variable with a foot petal. About $250.00??? to the door and worth every penny.
You can get rubber sanding drums in 3/4" & 1" then buy the long sanding sleeves for a oscillating sander and cut a over sized piece. I have used these to shape Handles to grind finger grooves,
You can put a buffing wheel on them, I cut thumb notches with a carbide burr. The list goes on!

This will take care of all of these mods on the hawks etc. that you are talking about.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I've never seen any wheels with bearings less than 2" diameter either.

The solution is easy though IMHO

The small wheel holder you linked to $55

And this small wheel-
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/34-contact-small-roller-wheel-p-704.html $68.90 (I prefer the 3/4" for handle work, cant speak about the hawk though)

And an extra tool arm-
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/steel-tool-bar-arms-tool-rest-181x15sqx18-p-762.html $9.11

$133.01 for a dedicated small wheel set-up that will use your 2x72 belts.

Sometimes newer folks just need some encouragment to pull the trigger on something like this but you'll thank yourself down the road for the convenience of a dedicated tool arm.

I agree with Wayne also. You can get by without it for awhile but unlike Wayne's forging stuff I think you'll find it useful and use it alot. The beauty of a tool arm machine is you can add too it as you go along so picking up the small wheel stuff a month or 3 after finishing the grinder shouldn't be too much of a hardship.

And Fred also- You simply don't want a small wheel on your multi-platen ! Thats gonna be the workhorse of your machine and you'll be runnng full tilt alot probably, which will definately ruin the small wheel pretty quickly.

Good luck with your build -Josh

Thanks Josh, I agree, I am a newbie to say the least. However I subscribe to the buy once cry once. :)

I have spec'd out my build with the small wheel attachment and a 1" wheel.

Thanks all.

Glad to hear you taking Josh's two cents here.
If you built it with the small wheel attachment you will be much more versatility.

It may be Hawk Mods today! Down the road who knows what you will want to do?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back