Your thoughts on how to approach this with a leather sheath

C Craft

What are your thoughts on how to approach this part of a design on a belt carried sheath.

This is a serious question I face each time I make a sheath for a fixed blade to be belt carried.How do you decided where the outside height of the sheath should end up being? The reason I ask is this, I always carry any knife I have for use.

A full height pouch sheath only leaves a couple of inches of the handle sticking out,is a common design I see, and I must admit I like the looks of!

However you have to approach drawing it with only the forefinger and the thumb, from the top of the handle. Which is OK but, (this where I always face my demons when sheath making). I want to have the handle where I can grab it with all or most of my hand. My thoughts on this are if some reason I need to get a hold of the knife quickly or if I have something on my hand that makes my grasp slick I don't want to risk dropping the knife.

However I don't particularly like the look of the sheath when, the outside it is dropped low. Then there is the quandary of losing the knife if it is too low. So that either means a strap and a snap (which I can't seem to warm up too) or a pull across strap on a stud. I tend to lean more towards the later, (strap fastening on a stud)!

Does anyone else struggle with this part of the design on a leather sheath? What are your thoughts on the sheath height and how do you do a design to overcome this, IE straps, etc.?

I have made some (what I thought were great looking sheaths) and the demons got me to cut down the outside and I always think I have screwed up by doing that, (looks wise)!:what!:

Pics of sheaths and how you overcome that part of the design would be greatly appreciated in your responses!

C Craft, this is a question that always seems to have caused trouble to both those that carry knives and those that fashion the sheaths. One must try to remember that the knife will dictate the type of sheath that will best do the job desired. Quite often the user will desire something that the knife configuration will reject as an unsatisfactory situation. (Like wanting 16" tires on your car that has 18" wheels that you will not part with!!)

The best solution to the problem is to buy or make the knife and sheath combination (Unit) that best meets your requirements. A lot of conditions exist that have to be examined such as blade length, thicknes, depth. Guard or quillon and projection length above or below blade for restraint location is vital as to pancake styles. Curvature of the blade and spine is important as to making a sraight or butterflied pouch. The depth to which a knife can be inserted in a pouch sheath is determined basically by the shape, diameter and length of the handle and the amount of frictiion that it will have against the leather, Long blades that are heavier than the handle are more retentive than light (short) blades with massive, heavy handles. Normally a 4.5"/5" handle in a pouch sheath will accept a three finger draw, a 3.5"/4" handle will allow a two finger draw. If the handle is shorter than those mentioned it should be set into the sheath deep enough for retention that only a one finger draw will suffice. I use these figures with the knowledge that the thumb is coupled with the fingers. A partial solutiion to the one finger draw is to extend the spine portion of the sheath higher on the handle than at the welted edge. This can be done with a graceful "S" turn that also enhances appearance. Sandy Morrissey

Last edited:
Thanks Sandy I like your explanations! Definitely will give me more food for thought and a reference guide in the future for this quandary!!

Great advice for all from The Godfather of Moo :)

I could only add this tidbit taught to me by my mentor- Sheath design begins BEFORE the knife is ever made !!!!! (At least for us makers ;) )

All aspects of the knifes design will influence the style of sheath and how well it's going to function for the desired use. Guard shape/thickness/length will have a profound impact on sheath function and which style should be chosen.

Main point is too design your knives and sheaths as a package that works well together from the start.

Good luck Buddy !

-Josh

Josh I hear you! I usually have an idea about what the sheath is going too look like before I ever start the knife. My problem always comes in when I actually get too making what I had in mind!

Those demons in my head ...........:evil:...........start this battle of, is there enough handle too get a hold of, is it going to be a problem with losing the knife from the sheath, do I want it belt hung, is it going to be right handed or left handed.

That last one is easy though, unless requested I make them all right handed, (in case I decide to keep it)!:what!::biggrin:

:s12108: Somebody please buy it, I already got too many knives, uh correction you can not have tooooooooooooo many knives. :biggrin:
Thanks for a little insight into the sheath demons. I will not let them torment me any more. I will just build what I want!

Back