Your input on disk grinders?

JPSWorks

Hello everyone,

I've been ready to pull the trigger on the Beaumont variable speed disk grinder with the adjustable work rest, on and off for the last two weeks.

Just haven't committed yet, even though I just bought a bunch of 9" abrasive in different grits and grit type plus feathering adhesive from Usaknifemaker.

I would really like your opinions on other quality brands out there, what you all use and like. I want to get a very good quality disk grinder and I assume Beaumont isn't the only one out there. However there isn't the same level of discussion of disk grinders on the web as there is for the 2x72 grinders.

My main reason for getting one is to get my blades, bolsters, liners, and other materials truly flat. Though I still plan to hand sand on a precision flat granite plate.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

That would be a good choice of disk grinder. You can buy sandpaper and cut it round cheaper than buying round 9" paper.
A surface grinder will do a better job of getting blades,bolsters and liners flat.

If you want the best, you will need to make it. I bought two 3/4hp 3ph 1750rpm 56C motors with mounting foot. I bolted one to the top of my workbench and the other vertically to the face of my workbench. I wired both motors to a small box with a 3-position switch (on-off-on). The switch receives power from a KBAC 24D which is equipped with a reversing switch and plugged into a 120v outlet. The horizontal disc (the one mounted to the face of the bench) has a Beaumont aluminum disc mounted to it. The vertical grinder has the Beaumont adjustable table and a Rod Neilson magnetic disc system. I run one 1 degree beveled disc with a 3/32" rubber backing and a flat, knife-edged disc with no backing. I have about $1100 in the whole setup and it is AWESOME!! I'll try to post a photo this evening.

Bob

That would be a good choice of disk grinder. You can buy sandpaper and cut it round cheaper than buying round 9" paper.
A surface grinder will do a better job of getting blades,bolsters and liners flat.
Calvin,

I would really, really like to get a surface instead, however I don't seem to have any luck finding a used one locally and the new ones are well over 2k from what have seen.

If you want the best, you will need to make it. I bought two 3/4hp 3ph 1750rpm 56C motors with mounting foot. I bolted one to the top of my workbench and the other vertically to the face of my workbench. I wired both motors to a small box with a 3-position switch (on-off-on). The switch receives power from a KBAC 24D which is equipped with a reversing switch and plugged into a 120v outlet. The horizontal disc (the one mounted to the face of the bench) has a Beaumont aluminum disc mounted to it. The vertical grinder has the Beaumont adjustable table and a Rod Neilson magnetic disc system. I run one 1 degree beveled disc with a 3/32" rubber backing and a flat, knife-edged disc with no backing. I have about $1100 in the whole setup and it is AWESOME!! I'll try to post a photo this evening.

Bob
Bob, I would love to see your grinder setup.

Here is my disc grinder setup. I mainly use the horizontal grinder for flattening or thicknessing scale material. It is especially useful for mammoth ivory and stag. That is stag dust on everything in the photo. You can see an extra disc for the Neilson system in the lower right corner. I find that I can swap papers and re-use them easily so I have not felt the need to purchase additional discs. Angle gauge set at 8.5 degrees makes setting up for lock faces a breeze. With the reversing switch there is no need to turn the grinder off to change directions; I just flip the switch back and forth. I do turn the grinder off to switch between machines using the switch below the VFD.

Bob

Untitled by Bob, on Flickr

I've had a Rod Nielsen magnetic disc grinder with a variable speed for over a year. I'm a slow learner so I'm learning more uses for it as time goes on. I even now have a disc set up to finish handles down to 800 which is nothing more than a 1" piece of sponge with the sandpaper on top of a 1/8" piece of cork. What is needed in a disc sander is first the speed control and then a system where you can change the discs and not have to change the sandpaper for every grit. This machine uses magnets on the hub to hold a disc with a certain grit size until you want to go to another grit size on another disc. The usual speed I operate this is about 25% of output. This is a 1HP motor.
This machine is most commonly sold as just the hub and discs including the 1 degree being available. This will allow you to pick up your own variable speed controller and motor.
I have seen a disc sander made up by an individual with a very heavy hub and no variable speed. Boy can you imagine what excitement this would cause if the motor shaft was a bit bent or the hub was out of balance.
Frank

Last edited:
You should be good with a Beaumont disc but I'd also recommend variable speed if you are planning on doing folder work or working with small parts. I was using the 9" disc attachment on the Coote which actually worked very well. I recently picked up a precision steel disc and have it mounted on a 2hp motor. It's a lot of speed for a disc but it is what I'm used to and I only use it for scales and tangs held by a grinding magnet. Eventually I'll spring for the variable speed but a milling machine is next.

I like the idea of the Nielson magnetic disc but find I go through paper faster than I need to change grits.

I use a Beaumont 1 deg disc and far from mastering it. It's a lifesaver for flattening scales and contouring the front (ricasso end).

VFD is a huge advantage on a disc. I use the same VFD for my belt grinder. The VFD and each machine have a pigtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A disc with a I degree bevel creates a hollow; yes it does. Why would you use that to get scales and bolsters flat when it just won't? Beaumont has some good stuff, but his disc grinder is not near the quality with flexibility that the Rod Neilson has.

Frank

I have owned both vertical and horizontal disc machines. To me, the horizontal has more uses. Variable speed, you'll find, is a huge asset. The Neilson disc are worth the money.
Happy grinding, Fred
DSC01090.JPG
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01088.JPG

I like the Rod Neilson Discs but have worried about the interchangeable discs warping or bending...anyone experienced this?

It would be difficult for them to warp Daniel. There are 9 magnets and the hub is 8" with the discs being just under 9" I haven't seen this .
Frank

Back