Wrought iron ??

C Craft

I am about to use some wrought for the guard and ferule on a knife I am working on. I happen to have some wrought that will be about the right size for making the pieces. I figure I will have to do some reduction of material to shape it like I want!

So here is the question. Will it change how the pieces look to be forged close to size and then do the reduction of materials to finish it into what I need??

Or would it change the look of the wrought, to just do reduction of material from the start!!

At this point I am not sure how much I can gain by forging to a point and then doing the reduction of material to finish shape. I have little forge experience as most of my knives are reduction! As well I have never forged wrought and I am little worried about destroying the wrought trying to forge it!! I have been forewarned that this wrought is hard to forge!

I guess what I am asking is if I do reduction from the start, once etched will it look different than if I had forged it!! I hope I am getting my point across here and not just sounding like I am rambling!!!

Wow, not one response! Perhaps I need to re-word this. In short does forging change the look of wrought?? Or does it look pretty much the same, whether it is forged or using a reduction method to achieve the final results???

In short, yes. The more you forge wrought iron, the less the grain stands out. If its flat bar and close to final dimensions, I would grind it. It its round bar , forge it flat and cut/grind it to final dimensions.
Having said that, people forge it all the time but in my experience, the less you forge it, the better it looks when finished because I like to see the coarse grain. Some people like the look of the finer grain and if that's what you like then there is nothing wrong with that.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks, Darin, the rough grain may look better than the more refined you will get with forging. Thanks for taking the time to explain that, now my curiosity is up and I may have to try some of both just to see the difference myself!

" reduction method " Is that grinding to shape?

Of course I should know I coin a new term for working wrought iron and here comes the "correct terminology police" ! LOL:eek::D

Yep that is what it means!!! :p

""correct terminology police"" is something I've NEVER been accused of in the past. To be honest, I didn't pick up that "reduction method" is the same as "stock removal". Reduction method just seems like big words! {g} :)

I thought "reduction process" was letting it simmer to condense all the yum-yums into a nice sauce base?

Cliff over here trying to church up the vocabulary!

Actually Cliff you may have made some of us a little more sophisticated.
now when someone ask me if I forge or do stock removal, I'll tell them I do stock reduction.
when they ask...what the heck is that, I'll just tell them it's kind of like stock removal but more refined and actually makes a better knife. :)
the funny thing is, there's someone out there I'll tell that to and he'll tell me he knows the guy that started that process years ago, then go on and tell me ....yea, stock reduction does make a better knife. :p

Actually Cliff you may have made some of us a little more sophisticated.
now when someone ask me if I forge or do stock removal, I'll tell them I do stock reduction.
when they ask...what the heck is that, I'll just tell them it's kind of like stock removal but more refined and actually makes a better knife. :)
the funny thing is, there's someone out there I'll tell that to and he'll tell me he knows the guy that started that process years ago, then go on and tell me ....yea, stock reduction does make a better knife. :p

1531360008362.pngSteve, I know your joking but the sad part about is you are probably right! There is so many misconceptions out there about knife making and how things are done, its not funny either!!!

All wanted to know if there was a difference in the finished product when wrought is forged or ground to shape! Darrin nailed that answer for me. So not wanting to screw up, this go around I will grind to shape. However now Darrin has said, yes it does make a difference in the final product. I have got to forge some just to see the difference!!

Cliff, you sure started a good thread with your "stock reduction" - we're all MUCH more smart now. :)

Back