Working on Photos

Robert Dark

Trying out my new camera and photo software. Better than what you have seen from me before???? (or not)

Testweb.jpg

Robert

I can't tell if it is a hand rubbed finish on the blade or it is polished. I think it is a little too white in there or something. Apart from that looks good.

Blade is a tad bit hot, hence the wash out. Otherwise it looks really good.

Charlie

Agree with the two above. I like the photos on your website better,
and I really do like your knives btw.
Dozier

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its hard not to wash-out a blade without making the handle material look too dark.

Back to the drawing board.

Robert

Robert,

I am not a photo expert (as is obvious from the photos in my gallery) but these are my humble recommendations:

-Try putting some light source or reflective material in the front of your light box. It will help tone down the distracting shadows around the bottom edges of your knife. Raising your knife slightly off the background surface can also help... a piece of hidden modeling clay or something visually interesting (but not distracting) to lean against can help.

-To help tone down the blade a bit, you can use a black reflector. This can also help bring out hamon activity in differentially heat-treated knives. I use a strip of black foam-core board approximately 6" wide by 24" long. Gripping the narrow edge of the strip, I'll hold the black reflector above the blade such that I can see it reflected in the blade when viewed through the camera's viewfinder. I don't us this trick all the time... but it is helpful on occasion.

Erin

Last edited:
Robert,

I am not a photo expert (as is obvious from the photos in my gallery) but these are my humble recommendations:

-Try putting some light source or reflective material in the front of your light box. It will help tone down the distracting shadows around the bottom edges of your knife. Raising your knife slightly off the background surface can also help... a piece of hidden modeling clay or something visually interesting (but not distracting) to lean against can help.

-To help tone down the blade a bit, you can use a black reflector. This can also help bring out hamon activity in differentially heat-treated knives. I use a strip of black foam-core board approximately 6" wide by 24" long. Gripping the narrow edge of the strip, I'll hold the black reflector above the blade such that I can see it reflected in the blade when viewed through the camera's viewfinder. I don't us this trick all the time... but it is helpful on occasion.

Erin

Thanks Erin,

I'll give those tricks a try.

Robert

Robert, I've always thought you took great photo's of you knives! New camera or old camera. It could also be I'm pretty easy to please.

Very nice job. 2thumbs2thumbs

Yes, the blade is a little hot on this one, but keep trying different tactics like those mentioned.

If you don't mind, do you have a pic of your photo set-up? Always interested in how other photographers do it. Thanks.

Very nice job. 2thumbs2thumbs

Yes, the blade is a little hot on this one, but keep trying different tactics like those mentioned.

If you don't mind, do you have a pic of your photo set-up? Always interested in how other photographers do it. Thanks.

Still in the simple stages. It will be modified as I go along.

Robert

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7
Still in the simple stages. It will be modified as I go along.

Robert

OK Robert... after seeing the photo of your setup, I have another recommendation:

Disclaimer - I am NOT an expert. My wife IS a professional photographer... not me. I just borrow her equipment. :D Take all of my advise with a grain of salt.

Enclose your light box. It's called a "box" for a reason. ;)

If you look at post #24 in THIS THREAD you can see pictures of my photo setup. You want to enclose as much of the space as possible. You'll notice the big piece of white foam-core on the floor in the first photo. When I am actually shooting, I will use that board to block off as much of the front opening as possible... leaving just enough room for an unobstructed shot from the camera lens. The white interior of the "light box" will help even out the lighting all around the knife (like those shadows that I mentioned earlier).

You'll also notice that I have two lights (both 500W halogens... which do require white balance adjustment). I used to have them both behind/above the light box. I find that shining one from the side, as shown in the pictures, actually improves my final photos. Your mileage may vary.

These are just some things to think about. Please share your results with us as you tweak your setup and technique.

Erin

Back