Work In Progress

opaul

I have two blades currently on the bench and I've been using the advise given - many, many thanks. I think my grind lines are really starting to sharpen and crisp up using that advise. I still haven't pulled the jig out yet.
The first photo - the blade on the bottom of the paper is ready to mount scales. I sanded the flats to 600 grit and the blade to a 400 cork polishing belt. 1084 steel 3/16". The blade is photographed on some sketches for my makers mark along with a hunter that I'm going to build.
The second photo is the hunter with one side taken down with 80 grit. This is a piece of the 7/64" Sheffield steel that I ordered. It's a big change going from 3/16 to 7/64! I was quite surprised. You will notice my plunge line control. I saw Fred Rowe use that on one of his videos.

As always constructive feed back is welcome!

opaul

Did you notice any difference from establishing a "flat" early on compared to before? (ease and control during grinding)
I did on the 3/16" steel. I'm going to have to develop the 'feel' for the 7/64" steel. But it's something I'm working on and a skill that will pay off! Thanks.

opaul

These are looking nice! Congrats!
whould you mind showing detais on this plunge line control? Thanks
Sure, I started using these - BRASS STAIR GAUGES FRAMING SQUARE MOUNT STEP TREAD RISER ROOF RAFTER LAYOUT TOOL - and they helped.
I have since moved on to the task specific plunge line grinding guide. It's much, much better.

DanF

Both designs are very nice, but my eye really likes the first one.
Square nuts--- huh! I probably have close to a dozen sets from my by-gone days of custom carpentry work and never considered they had another use. And, a ruined square nut is a lot cheaper than a knife makers file guide!
Edit; looks like you are talking about something other than square nuts, my bad, but now I gotta try them
More than a decade-and-a-half ago my mentor drummed into my head the evils of using jigs. I personally don't see a problem with someone using them but It sure is nice not to need them.

C Craft

Sure, I started using these - BRASS STAIR GAUGES FRAMING SQUARE MOUNT STEP TREAD RISER ROOF RAFTER LAYOUT TOOL - and they helped.
I have since moved on to the task specific plunge line grinding guide. It's much, much better.
OP, I new what it was the minute I saw it! My brain is going well there is a use I never thought of for a layout block!!! I built steps for a 40 unit beach complex with a set of those, way back when!! That is a prime example of thinking outside the box!!
Like the grinds!

C Craft

I can relate to that!!
Actually maybe I should have said, I was slow last night! I had spent the day making hurricane preparations and in fact made an ice run about 9:00PM last night! You take a lot for granted when you have it and when you don't well,...…….! After Ivan we worked all day sun up till to dark to work, we ate bathed, which is a major challenge with no water! After that we went looking for somewhere that had gas to run the generators and to find ice! A cold drink goes a long ways when you don't have one!! That was our schedule here for nearly two weeks. I would load a huge trailer all day and first thing in the morning go to the dump to get rid of it!! Crazy situation!!

So I was probably the slow one!!:eek::p