Wondering about graphite Diamond Blocks for Heat Treat

Bill Hubbell

KNIFE MAKER
Does anyone know anything about these- like do you, or anyone you know, use anything like this to minimize decarb and scale?
Sentry sells them as Diamond Blocks-
It looks like a great way to achieve a carbon-rich environment and not deal with foil- but -what do I know- I don't even have an oven yet!

http://www.sentryfurnaces.com/diamondblock.htm

Thx,
Bill

I've personally never used these, but I have spent some time reading the information on them. The first "red flag" for me was the fact that they do not list prices, and want you to email them. That in itself leads me to believe these would not be a cost effective alternative for heat treat foil.

I also noticed the careful use of the word "can" in all of the information. "Diamond blocks CAN prevent" this or "Diamond Blocks CAN aid" in that. I might be dead wrong, but my insticts tell me its more smoke and mirrors then a cost effective helper.

Thanks Ed. I don't know if you remember a thread where I was ecstatic about a free heat treat oven I came across, only to soon come to the realization that not only was it too large (90 amp draw), but the oven walls were built in such a way that wasn't really conducive to installing new elements (and controller).
But, the oven also came with a bunch of new 'Diamond Blocks'. I think I'm going to scrap the oven, but wondered if I might be able to sell the Diamond blocks (and put the money toward a new oven or other knifemaking supplies). If anyone here wanted to experiment with some Diamond Blocks , I would be glad to send them one and pay the postage. I've had others here do that with me-send me free scale blocks, etc.). I just hate to junk something that might be useful. I'd have to check the sizes to see what oven size they would fit.
It sounded like a great idea on the surface- to a rookie- the carbon-rich environment. It may be an old school method that has since been made obsolete by the use of foil. The oven looks pretty old. But, I just had to put it out there to see if anyone here thought they were useable. Oh well- guess I'll get the old butterfly impact out and start dismantling that oven-I'm sure there will be a few pieces I can keep around and use for something at a later date. Again, if anyone here wants to fool around with a Diamond Block, let me know and I'll get one to you.
Thanks again,
Bill

Back