WIP- two skinning knives

AJH_Knives

He guys, here is my fifth and sixth attempt at making knives.

Blade material is Starrett O1 oil hardening tool steel
coal fired forge... don't tell anyone but I am using my Brinkmen smoker charcoal bowl!!!!!
Quenching in Mobile 1 5w 20 motor oil
Tempering in my kitchen oven... Don't tell my wife!!!

Okay here is how I started

IMG_0152.jpg

Okay I am using a grinder with a cutoff wheel to rough cut the blades out. I can tell you, I need to be more careful using that darn grinder, one small slip and I gouged the blades..once is bad enough, but it happened twice this time around..
Once I have them rough cut, i use a 6 inch bench grinder (wheel) and either a 1 x 30 belt grinder, or a 1x 42 belt grinder to get them into shape. I was looking for a tool in my messy tool box and found some needle files. So, i decided to try my had at some file work.

IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0172.jpg

So last night I heat treated the blades in my "forge" I heat them up till they are non magnetic and maybe an extra 30 seconds to a minute. and quench them in 120* mobile1 for about 30 seconds. I de grease them, and sand the scale off, then to the kitchen oven set to 400* for 45 minutes, I decided to quench them in 100* water, I really don't know why I did that. Then I decided to temper again at 425* for another 45 minutes. I let them air cool overnight. Well,after some sanding and messing with wood, this is where i am as of tonight.
IMG_0193.jpgIMG_0194.jpgIMG_0195.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0197.jpgIMG_0198.jpg

quick update, I am almost finished with one of the skinning knives. A good friend of mine, is getting this one. I used cocobolo wood for the handle.
IMG_0216[1].jpg

I just finished the other skinner. However I neglected to take pictures. I decided to put a blasted finish on the blade. It looks cool, i just don't like the blasted finish, it seams to show scratches and marks up easily. I don't think i'll blast another one.. so Here is the finished products

Attachments

• DSCN3153.jpg
    DSCN3153.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 30
  • cocobolo-skinner1.jpg
    cocobolo-skinner1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
Those knifes look good - I do like the shape of them. A question please, since they are "skinning" knife - did you consider a gut hook? I made a skinning knife for my brother much the same shape as the micarata (sp?) handle knife and first thing he asked was about a gut hook. Just too handy when skinning he says.

Good job.

Ken H>

Ken, thanks for the compliment.. I personally don't like the "gut hook" tried it once and did not like it. Elk or deer, i just use the end of the blade and a finger on the spine to guide. A good sharp knife works for me.

Back