WIP Bowie 2019 KITH - Sean

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
I like the stainless idea it is different. I would like to see how that looks. Are you going to etch the blade at all? The contrast between the etched blade and the stainless guard might look good especially if your handle material is dark.

Sean Jones

I like the stainless idea it is different. I would like to see how that looks. Are you going to etch the blade at all? The contrast between the etched blade and the stainless guard might look good especially if your handle material is dark.
The blades are made out of AEB-L. I don't believe I can etch that. I'll check into it though

Sean Jones

Blades are back from heat-treat. I'll start on them in the morning. I have some clean up to do on them before I start on the primary grind.
These were heat-treated to RC62. The last time I worked on AEB-L that had been heat treated prior, they were at about 59-60. I don't know how much of a difference a couple of point of hardness will make. I guess I'll find out!
Heat treat RC-62.jpgAfter the discussion in

Sean Jones

I did the initial grind this morning. 60 grit and I'm actually fairly happy at how the main grind turned out. However I'm hoping for some input on the swedge (wedge?) on the top grind. I was going to put in a distal taper starting at the back of the swedge as shown in red. However I'm thinking that is going to wash out the flow of the existing grinds. I was also planning on tapering the tang.

I'm uncertain how to proceed from here. Should I do a distal taper? or just finish out the top grind with a file and finish up the main grind...or something else? Thoughts and or any help are appreciated.

Hope this makes sense. I guess I'm just a bit uneasy to proceed because so far it looks OK and I don't want to mess it up.

60 grit first grind 2.jpg

Randy Lucius

I’m no help. I haven’t ground a blade that long nor have I ground a swedge. My only advice would be to take your time. Know what you’re gonna do before you do it. I will say those blades are looking great!!

Sean Jones

I’m no help. I haven’t ground a blade that long nor have I ground a swedge. My only advice would be to take your time. Know what you’re gonna do before you do it. I will say those blades are looking great!!
Thanks Randy. I was really nervous when I started the grind on this. I thought for sure I'd mess it up so bad I'd end trashing the knife.