WILL SOMEONE TRY THIS?...........

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
attachment.php

.......and maybe pass it around. It's my new detail sander. .250 Corian lovingly shaped to fit a 12 1/2" X .250 Micro Belt. Thumb detent on the top let's you add more pressure to the belt and the little relief slot in back let's you get the snug belt on. All I want is some feedback and maybe pass it around to try. First "I Gotta Have One of Those" posts and PM's your address and it will be in the mail. Note that the radius at the back is actually an ellipse so it should fit most any inside curves.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

P.S. I think I got the last .250 Corian that Dupont ever made.

Attachments

• SANDOMATIX 001.jpg
    SANDOMATIX 001.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 62
  • SANDOMATIX 002.jpg
    SANDOMATIX 002.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 333
  • SANDOMATIX 003.jpg
    SANDOMATIX 003.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 54
  • SANDOMATIX 004.jpg
    SANDOMATIX 004.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I will use it and give you my thoughts then pass it on for someone else to try...unless I like it so much I can't part with it!

Thanks,

Shank,
That's a great idea, give me a week!!! I'm thinking 5HP Briggs and Stratton on a backpack with a flexible shaft. needle bearing roller tip and a nitrous oxide system for those stubborn spots. Of course it will be a hybrid motor to keep the "bunny Huggers" happy. We'll call it the "Shankmaster 3000" and it will be a great success but we will have to get $4995.00 a piece or we could have it made in China for $3.00.

Just Kidding, of course.
Thanks for looking,
Steve

steve, i would really like to try one of those if you have any left. you come up with the best ideas... thanks

What I want to know is where you got the corian. I can't seem to find it except as samples from Lowes.

Have you tried the local cabinet shops? They should have all sorts of scraps around from the counter tops they install.
Jim

.250" Corian is a thing of the past. I do have a supply at the cabt shop. It was made primarily for shower and tub walls and costs about $500 for a 30" X 90" sheet. The decrease in cost of granite and the influx of Chinese stone has made Corian nearly obsolete in our market for counter tops and walls(Chicagoland). If someone does give it away, it will be because they don't realize the value. I also have some .750 Corian that is also no longer made that I'm thinking about resawing and thinning to .250 and may have enough to sell or share at some point. I'm going to make a couple dozen of these sanders and sell them economically on this forum or maybe at a show. Does anyone think they are worth $10.oo with 2 belts? Also playing with a plan to waterjet some from other acrylics.

Thanks for your input.
I'm happy to share any ideas,
Steve
visit www.romarcabinet.com

Does anyone think they are worth $10.oo with 2 belts?
Thanks for your input.
I'm happy to share any ideas,
Steve
visit www.romarcabinet.com

Let me test drive one first, I'll send it back and give you an honest answer. Unless I like it so much I never let it leave my shop :D

Mike

edit: You were listing these as I was typing, PM sent. Thanks Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

I received the sanding block yesterday. I will test it out this weekend and get some first impressions posted this weekend.

Steve,

I got the sanders late Friday, Thank You! I had too many honey-do projects to really try out the sanders this past weekend :eek::(

I'll try them out tonight or tomorrow and pass on the verdict ;)

I got to use the sander the last couple of days so here are my views.

The design is very nice, it fits in your hand well and is easy to use.

The shape has plenty of different curves to get into hard to reach areas.

The belts are nice and tight, almost to tight. I would like to be able to spin them around a little easier so I could keep a fresh part of the belt where I'm using it most.

The width is perfect, it gets places where my other sanding tools won't.

I don't know if there are any finer grit belts out there. I would like to have a 400 grit as well as the 180 and 240.

Overall a great tool for finishing up the tight spots. Well thought out and executed.

Now the Big Question...Can I Keep It?

It's your Chris. It's small payment for your honest review. Thanks for the feedback.

Just take a little off the Corian and the belt will loosen up. I kept one that I overdid and the belt was loose and I wrapped one layer of 1/4" blue masking tape around the perimeter and it works pretty slick.

Thanks,
Steve

Back