Wildebeest Horn

Matt de Clercq

I recently bought some wildebeest horn scales from Jantz. It seems really oily and somewhat soft on the dark side. What, if anything, needs to be done to this stuff to make it knife handle worthy?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 36
Hi Matt,
How are you doing? I am no expert on working with horn, but one thing I can share is are don't be in a hurry to work as its best to let naturals climatize a bit and I mean let it sit in your shop for a few weeks so moisture content balances.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in soon and help you with other pointers.

Merry Christmas to you, your wife and young family!

Ditto on what Laurence said! Let it acclimate for a while (here in Montana I leave handle materials for 6 months before using them). Also, remember that horn is nothing more then compressed hair. All the problems you've ever heard your wife of girlfirend complain about with their hair applies to horn.

plug your nose, because that stuff is going to stink when you grind it.

That too! I rarely use horn or bone because it smells like my worst nightmare in a dentist chair. I usually save it for when someone has over stayed their welcome in my shop. It's a great way for them to remember there is someplace else they have to be, like right now.:biggrin:

Carpet beetles love horn, and will eat little holes in it... the first thing I do when I get horn is soak it in a linseed oil/turpentine mix (50/50) overnight... the beetles want nothing to do with it after that.

However, these are scales, and this might interfere with epoxy adhesion.

That too! I rarely use horn or bone because it smells like my worst nightmare in a dentist chair. I usually save it for when someone has over stayed their welcome in my shop. It's a great way for them to remember there is someplace else they have to be, like right now.:biggrin:

Thats funny Lawrence, never thought of that!!!

Back